What's wrong with my chicken?

Goatgirl12

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2017
My Red Island Hen has been acting very odd for the past 2 days. She has been acting very lethargic, has had blood in her feces, and has been laying soft shelled eggs. Does anyone know what type of sickness/ disease she may have and what remedies I should try?

My Red Island Hen has been acting very odd for the past 2 days. She has been acting very lethargic, has had blood in her feces, and has been laying soft shelled eggs. Does anyone know what type of sickness/ disease she may have and what remedies I should try?
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the poop and hen?
How old is she?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Do you offer oyster shell free choice?
Have you had any other illness in your flock like respiratory illness (coughing, sneezing, runny eyes/nose)?
Have you introduced any new chickens within the last 30days?

If you are seeing blood in the poop, then it could be caused by Coccidiosis. Treatment is with Corid which can be found at your local feed store. Treating with Corid will not hurt, so personally I would start treatment. Taking a sample of poop to your vet for testing of worms, cocci and bacteria if a good idea as well.

Since she is lethargic, separate her if you can. Keep her hydrated and offer some extra protein like egg or tuna. Soft shelled eggs can be seen in new layers, due to vitamin/nutritional deficiencies, illness or stress. Offer oyster shell free choice for added calcium and limit treats to no more than 5-10% of her daily intake.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After you finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

You may want to take a sample to your vet for testing.

Again, if you are seeing blood, then treating for Cocci would be my first course of action. Corid is mild and won't hurt her. Make sure she is drinking well. Isolate her if you can so you can monitor her.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom