What's wrong with my chicken?

BabyAutumn

Hatching
Jan 30, 2017
I have a flock of 5 chickens, and I noticed 1 of them has been acting quite off for the past few days.

I'm aware most flocks have a 'pecking order', and it's happened before in my flock, yes. This one hen in particular seems to be standoffish from the rest. A few times I noticed her staying in the corner of the coop. And whenever I spread some treats around, she'll usually be very hesitant to eat.

Her feathers are a bit tattered, but no wounds as far as I can see. She acts very sluggish and tired. I've created this fenced off area inside the coop so she'll be separated but still with them.

Her crest also does seem a bit on the pale side, or simply more dullish than the others.

Any tips or feedback on what I can do?
Or does anyone know what's wrong?

Last edited:
Moulting? I just looked that up because of my chicken problem and it did state that making new feathers are energy consuming. For that, the article said to feed her higher protein than layer feed.

Pecking Order. I read that once you figure out who the offender is, you remove them from the coop for a few days and reintroduce because "new" chicken wouldn't be the top of the pecking order. Not sure if it would work. Just some things I read.

Good Luck :)

Hi :welcome @BabyAutumn

It really could be a number of things. As said above it could be molt or as you may suspect a pecking order problem. You say her "crest" but do you mean "comb" or is she a crested breed?
Molt sure can take it out of them but bullying also can. How old is she? Is she due to molt? If the others are not letting her eat or drink this can cause malnutrition and dehydration.
Other possibilities are worms, a crop issue, egg bound, lice or mites. There really are so many things that it could be.

Last edited:
Hi there! And welcome to backyard chickens! :welcome
Judiging by the symptoms your describing, it is quite hard to see what is wrong with your hen. Do you see any tension in your coop? Such as constant pecking. Have you ever seen her being attacked by the hens? I advise when you have the time to watch your flocks behavior. If your hen isn't being bullied she is possibly starting to get sick. In all, I would quarantine her and remove her from the flock and if possible house her by herself; ( I would reccomend you use a rabbit hutch). Once you housed her it would be a good decision to move her into a garage or something. After you safely and comfortably quartined her, make her enviorment some what warm and supply vitamins in her water or food. I reccomed you get the vitamin Save-A-Chick and mix it in her water. While I read your post I was thinking that many things could be wrong with your hen. Such examples are she's being bullied,she's sick,she's broody,she might even be molting. The best advise I could give you is take some time out of your day and try to pin point what's wrong with her.

Best of luck~ Sunshine Ducky

Last edited:
My little hen has a rattle noise coming from her she hasn't layed an egg in a couple of weeks which in unusual ; her 1 eye still hasn't gotten completely cleared up so I'm not sure what's going on with her now ?

I'm almost positive it's not molting, since she does have a regular amount of feathers. As of the bullying, from the times I've been in the coop I've seen the hens peck each others heads or other body sections. It's never come to a point where they'd draw blood though, nor does it seem to be a certain hen doing it. It's different each time. Like I said, I've created a fenced area inside the coop so this hen could not be bullied or hurt. I didn't feel comfortable with removing her completely in fear she'd get lonely and depressed. As of age, we've had these hens since they were chicks. Around 3 years old now.

My little hen has a rattle noise coming from her she hasn't layed an egg in a couple of weeks which in unusual ; her 1 eye still hasn't gotten completely cleared up so I'm not sure what's going on with her now ?

A rattle noise and her eye not being clear would suggest a respiratory infection. When they are under the weather with illness this can cause egg laying to stop.

I'm almost positive it's not molting, since she does have a regular amount of feathers. As of the bullying, from the times I've been in the coop I've seen the hens peck each others heads or other body sections. It's never come to a point where they'd draw blood though, nor does it seem to be a certain hen doing it. It's different each time. Like I said, I've created a fenced area inside the coop so this hen could not be bullied or hurt. I didn't feel comfortable with removing her completely in fear she'd get lonely and depressed. As of age, we've had these hens since they were chicks. Around 3 years old now.

When did she last lay? Have you checked she does not have an egg stuck? Does her crop feel ok? Is she eating well now she's seperate?

A rattle noise and her eye not being clear would suggest a respiratory infection. When they are under the weather with illness this can cause egg laying to stop.
When did she last lay? Have you checked she does not have an egg stuck? Does her crop feel ok? Is she eating well now she's seperate?

Since separated she's been drinking and eating much more. I am not sure how to check for an eggbound, nor do I know if she's been laying. Now that I have her enclosed, I'll know for sure if an egg appears inside.

I haven't checked to see if she has a egg stuck ? She layed a about 2 weeks ago. Her sister layed 1 everyday . She is drinking and eating ok . No separated from the rest .

I have a flock of 5 chickens, and I noticed 1 of them has been acting quite off for the past few days.

I'm aware most flocks have a 'pecking order', and it's happened before in my flock, yes. This one hen in particular seems to be standoffish from the rest. A few times I noticed her staying in the corner of the coop. And whenever I spread some treats around, she'll usually be very hesitant to eat.

Her feathers are a bit tattered, but no wounds as far as I can see. She acts very sluggish and tired. I've created this fenced off area inside the coop so she'll be separated but still with them.

Her crest also does seem a bit on the pale side, or simply more dullish than the others.

Any tips or feedback on what I can do?
Or does anyone know what's wrong?
Sounds like a severe case of mites. If a check for mites turns out positive, try dusting the bird and/or bathing them with dog lice/mite shampoo. Mites can be deadly (I speak from experience), so act fast!

Back
Top Bottom