Whats wrong with my chicken?

UncleDougsChickens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 18, 2017
Shes been doing this extreme sneezing/coughing fit lately. I brought her inside in a dog crate and gave her some vetrx and let her rest to see if it would go away and she mostly stopped doing it. That was about a week ago. Now shes starting to do it again. I thought maybe it was a respiratory infection hence the vetrx. I also gave her (and the others) some pumpkin seeds and cayenne pepper powder in case it was gapeworm/some worm. So, at a loss here and dont really wanna experiment with every chicken drug under the sun until shes fixed. Anyone have any ideas?

Shes been doing this extreme sneezing/coughing fit lately. I brought her inside in a dog crate and gave her some vetrx and let her rest to see if it would go away and she mostly stopped doing it. That was about a week ago. Now shes starting to do it again. I thought maybe it was a respiratory infection hence the vetrx. I also gave her (and the others) some pumpkin seeds and cayenne pepper powder in case it was gapeworm/some worm. So, at a loss here and dont really wanna experiment with every chicken drug under the sun until shes fixed. Anyone have any ideas?

Where are you located (state/country)?
Do you notice mucous, swelling of the face and/or watery eyes?

She likely has a respiratory illness - Infectious Bronchitis, ILT, Mycoplasma.
You can try treating her with antibiotics to see if that makes a difference. Use Tylan50. Dose is .25ml per pound of weight, give it orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Cayanne Pepper and Pumpkin seeds will not treat Gapeworm. You can treat for those with Fenbendazole (Safeguard). Use .25ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row.

It's hard to know if she has respiratory disease or if it gapeworm. Gapeworm is usually pretty rare, but in your case, I would probably treat with the antibiotics and de-wormer unless you are definitely only seeing symptoms of respiratory disease.

Where are you located (state/country)?
Do you notice mucous, swelling of the face and/or watery eyes?

She likely has a respiratory illness - Infectious Bronchitis, ILT, Mycoplasma.
You can try treating her with antibiotics to see if that makes a difference. Use Tylan50. Dose is .25ml per pound of weight, give it orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Cayanne Pepper and Pumpkin seeds will not treat Gapeworm. You can treat for those with Fenbendazole (Safeguard). Use .25ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row.

It's hard to know if she has respiratory disease or if it gapeworm. Gapeworm is usually pretty rare, but in your case, I would probably treat with the antibiotics and de-wormer unless you are definitely only seeing symptoms of respiratory disease.
where do I buy that stuff? I usually get stuff from amazon or tractor supply. Do I need to go to a vet for that stuff?

Tractor Supply, Rural King, and Southern States plus other feed stores may sell both Tylan 50 injectable as well a SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (or Horse Paste.) You can find them online as well. Buy some 3 ml syringes with 18 or 20 gauge needles, just to get the Tylan out of the vial, and remove the needle fo giving it by mouth. Dosage of Tylan 50 is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight 3 times a day for 5 days. For a 6 pound hen, that would be 1 1/2 ml.
upload_2018-11-30_20-11-32.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom