What's wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sillychicks123, Dec 5, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I own five birds, four of which are silkies and one of my silkies appears to have something wrong with themselves. I have school everyday from 8:05-3:05 and I still use a chick waterer for my silkies because I used to have polish and I had a nipple waterer for them. Anyways, I was running really late this morning and didn't have enought time to refill their water, so right after school I did and they drank for a while then went about my yard again. When I picked up one of my silkies, however, a liquid (or so I think) came out of her nose. And it wasn't just a little, it was a good amount. Anyways I put her down and she went back to her friends, but a min later the same thug happened and I think it was a tad more goopy but I'm not sure because it soaked into the soil fast. I got my silkies from a lady who bred them, and they weren't vaccinated but she had really good reveiws and I have been feeding my chickens medicated chick feed for a couple of weeks to make sure they are healthy. Is something wrong with my baby!?!? Please help me out I'm really worried, these aren't let's to me these chickens are my babies:( Any advice/ideas will do!:confused:[VIDEO][​IMG][/VIDEO]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if they over drank. Potable water should be available at all times. Try investing in a heated waterer or make sure to provide water several times daily if freezing is a problem.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think it is more likely that the liquid came from her mouth, not her nose. When chickens drink a lot at one time (like when they've been without water for a while and have a chance to drink), they tend to overfill their crops. The result is that they can kind of throw up the water in their crop when they are tilted or jolted, or bend their head down towards the ground. As long as it doesn't keep happening, this is normal.

If it did come from her nostrils, then it could be a sign of a respiratory disease. The treatment for that would be antibiotics, which can't be provided by medicated feed. Most medicated feed contains a coccidiostat, which is a drug that helps limit the number of coccidia (small organisms that can cause illness in large numbers) in a bird's digestive tract. This works well for preventing coccidiosis, but unfortunately will not help prevent other types of infection. Antibiotics to give can include Tylan, Duramycin, Tetracycline, and Oxytetracycline (Tetroxy HCA-280, Terramycin, etc.). But do not begin giving antibiotics unless she develops more symptoms, or these symptoms persist, as that will only stress her out.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I suggest you bring her inside. This could be a sign of a respitory issue. Respitiry issus can be treated with tylan 50. The reason I'm saying this is the same thing happened to one of my Silkies.i picked her up and she expelled liquid. I did not know she had a respitory illness. A day went by then it became apparent she was suffering from a respitory illness when she developed a wheeze. I started treating her but I was too late. I picked her up to check her and she aspirated on fluid that expelled and passed. the reason I'm telling you this story is in hopes to prevent this from happening to your silkie. Be very very careful about picking her up when she's like this. Listen very closely to her breathing. If mucus or vomiting continues I would seriously consider treating with tylan50. the dose for a silkie would be 1/4 cc given once daily in the beast muscle for 5 days. Tylosin or tylan 50 had been very successful in the treatment of respitory illness. What's good about injectables is they are a steady controlled dose unlike water soulable antibotic which dose is contigent on amount drank. Also it gets into the blood stream faster. Just be on alert that this could be a sign of respitory illness and if you continue to see the mucus or vomiting I would treat her for such. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by