What's wrong with my chicken's comb

Do you know if the blow dryer kills poultry lice eggs? I know the blow dryer kills lice eggs on humans. I'm not sure if it does the same for poultry lice eggs.

I would doubt it, but I donā€™t know for sure. chicken lice are different than human lice, so they may not respond the same.

I would doubt it, but I donā€™t know for sure. chicken lice are different than human lice, so they may not respond the same.
Right...species to species is different for lice...Iā€™ve not seen anywhere on here about using a blow dryer for lice treatment...just the powder, or sprays, depending on your weather

Hi all, I'm new to chickens and can use some help. This is Ms. Red who is 8 months old and from Flagstaff AZ.

Flagstaff is not your typical Arizona warm sunny weather. We live in the mountains where it's super dry and snowy and drops below freezing almost every wintery night. Red sleeps with her 8 other sisters under the heat lamp. Her food is hanging to avoid pests and her water is inclosed in a heated nipple waterer. We do put Organic Apple Cider vinigar in the girls water. We also use pine chips in the chicken run.

We had a lice issue so we cleaned the coop and sprinkled it with food grade DE. We also treated the girls for lice too. We have a chicken bath with wood ash, DE and sand but none of the girls use it so it's pretty pointless.

Red's is isolated and her symptoms are:
*White shriveled comb
*extremely Watery Diahrea
*Sleepyhead
* lice
* Not laying eggs
*Yes she eats and drinks

Could lice cause these problems? Or is it something else?

View attachment 2011334

All the other girls have blackish spots on their Combs but have no other problems except for the lice.

What should I do?šŸ˜¬

My cream legbar's comb looked like that, it cleared up after I dewormed them all. You can also try this if the comb is painful. https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Poultry-Spray-Chickens-Species/dp/B00UTDXBX6

Does anyone know what could be causeing Red's watery Diarrhea? It's winter so I know it's not because of the heat.

She is eating and drinking like a champ. Lice is cleared up for now and I'll be doing a second treatment soon.

Does anyone know what could be causeing Red's watery Diarrhea? It's winter so I know it's not because of the heat.

She is eating and drinking like a champ. Lice is cleared up for now and I'll be doing a second treatment soon.
Can you get some photos of the poop?
What do you feed her? Have you made any changes to what you feed?

Is all of her poop watery or is it occasionally?

Can you get some photos of the poop?
What do you feed her? Have you made any changes to what you feed?

Is all of her poop watery or is it occasionally?
Actually I will be watching this thread. My girls have lice...the permethrin comes in tomorrow. But, now Iā€™m suspicious of worms too, as Iā€™m seeing some messy bums...or is that due to the lice? I had been using an herbal dewormer in the past....it was recommended to me by a BYC member...

Back
Top Bottom