What's wrong with my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by walterc, Feb 14, 2009.

1. walterc

walterc New Egg

Jun 3, 2008
    It's been awhile since I've been on, so Hi again.

Any way, now that my hens have started laying I've noticed that some of the eggs have a yolk that is almost solid. The whites look normal, but when we break the egg in a bowl, the yolk stays in a round shape and when you stick it with a fork, it doesn't break. I was wondering if they may have froze or if it's something else.

We both work, so we check for eggs in the morning and again when we get home in the evening.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Where do you live? Has it been below freezing temps??

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Fresh eggs are firm, old eggs have "wilted" yellows. I think what you are seeing is just a fresh egg yolk. You'd be surprised how old the eggs you get at the supermarket are-- = not fresh.

Enjoy!!!

Ps, they are also hard to scramble- you need to whisk them 'real' good.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sounds like a fresh egg to me. [​IMG]

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    LOL, I have had to "chase" a yolk or two around in the bowl trying to get them to break! Seems like they just evade the wisk or fork! LOL.

That is a fresh egg for you!

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Farm Fresh Eggs... FINALLY an egg you can flip in the pan and not worry about breaking!!! They can take quite a bit of abuse before breaking.

But my yolks look mostly like store bought... the flatten out after I crack them.. maybe you had a few freeze. Are they ALL like that?

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    When my eggs are fresh they nearly always require *work* to break up the yolk - even once you poke it, a wee bit oozes out but mostly it keeps its (very round and upright) shape. So I would GUESS that's probably just what you're seeing? Unless this is way different than your usual eggs of the same age in which case I dunno.

Good luck,

Pat

8. walterc

walterc New Egg

Jun 3, 2008
    Most of them flatten out when put into a bowl. We live in NE
    Wyoming and they may have froze, since they may be out for a number of hours.

Being hard to break means they are fresh? That makes sense, siince the ones that flatten out are hard to break.

The problem ones have the yolk in a round ball, and near impossible to break.

Thanks!!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A fresh egg yolk "stands up" nice and rounded.....the older ones flatten out.

10. walterc

walterc New Egg

Jun 3, 2008
    So by "stand up nice and rounded" do you mean like a soft to medium boiled yolk? Cuz that's what they're like.

Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by