whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

im so happy to hear the good news about pumpkin...congrats!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
:weee

i took your advice and help her stand to eat.she goes crazy over egg yolk and yogurt,and of course her favorite bread.not to much improvement but shes not getting worse.shes still very alert and still has alot of fight,so as long as she has the will to live ill do everything i can to help her.thank you so much for all the help you have given us all,it is very appreciated.
hugs.gif

Super happy to hear that about Pumpkin!!! What a relief!!! Is she on an antibiotic then? I was thinking about grabbing some of those just in-case.

I wanted to show a couple of picture of my little Runt. Not that it shows a whole lot but it will make me feel better I guess. It's as if s/he pushes him/herself up against the wall for a bit of balance. S/he looks a little ruff around the feathers and all but I swear I take the best care of him/her. S/he just finished eating like a pig too so you can see s/he is full. Lol I love it!

64308_aug_1st_2010x_026.jpg

64308_aug_1st_2010x_013.jpg

This is how the feet look most of the time. It is starting to flex them more and strength is coming back in the feet and legs.
64308_aug_1st_2010x_015.jpg

Let me know what you think!

~Sara

The feet look about like my chicken's feet were looking for several days. With toes on one foot clinched, and not on the other foot. And usually stretched out in front of her. Yesterday and today I was very happy to see her at least holding them back under her body, and both seem to be open. I tell ya'......this is such a hard thing to watch, having to feel so helpless. I'm scared to be encouraged yet. Her problem was noticed a week ago Sat., I believe. She was on the floor in her bedroom (coop of course, but I feel like they are almost human in a way) and the others were on the roost. Didn't think much of it, but the next day DH told me there was a problem, before I had even gone out to look at them. He gets up before I do, and lets them all out to have the run of the place for the day.
How old is Runt? I know you said but I've forgotten. Mine was hatched around Feb., I think. I just lose track if I don't write everything down. She and her sister and 2-3 others were given to us, if I remember correctly. I was just so excited to see 2 of them develop into BR's, and wondered if the parents were true BR's. Then as this one got so much bigger, I began to wonder if she might be a........blazes.......can't remember the name of it! Another one that resembles a BR. I decided she was a BR though, mostly because of the color of her legs. Maybe her sister is a runt.
I wish you, and everyone else, good luck. I was glad to find this group, and at least don't feel alone with this mystery in our sweet babies.

Quote:
My little one is a month old. Are you one of the one's trying the vit B therapy? If so, how long have you been doing it?

I am trying it. I just started this past Friday, so three days. Her symptoms started Sat. before last, so she had been like that (and getting worse) for 6 days when I started. She started out walking like she was drunk, and couldn't take more than a couple of steps before she just plopped down on her bottom. Then she would try to stand and go a little farther, and the same thing would happen. Then within a day, she couldn't stand at all. She would try so hard, and was just pushing herself around with feet in front of her. I couldn't get her to keep her feet under her at all...I would get them in position, and they would just come back out in front of her. She would flap wings, evidently trying to get that to help her get up.
I have no idea where we are now. I have her on a towel in cage, with food and water at the end. Cage is maybe 3 - 4 feet long, and 2 feet wide. She is eating and drinking, and now has her feet back under her. She definitely just looks better, with her feet and legs where they are supposed to be. I have not taken her out to see if she can stand though. Had grandkids for the week-end, so didn't do as much as I normally would with her.
I put her out under some trees, with no towel under her, and the openings on the cage under her wide enough that she could peck grass, and maybe get a grip on the land. Didn't want to leave her out there all night though, so she is back on cement with a roof over her, and it really is cooler there, I think.
I did take her out of the cage to clean it up a bit, and several of our roosters came to her immediately. I'm hoping we will get rid of them tomorrow. Had already planned to do that since they are very aggressive with the grandkids or any other kids that are here. I have a good place to take them where they will be sold as pets...not for meat. Once they are gone, I may let her out in the yard without the cage just to see if she wants to try to get up and walk.

Back
Top Bottom