What's wrong with my RIR's legs????

I started the dog food when we quarantined her for the extra vitamins and protein. I don't give her much but I have been giving her more egg and molasses than anything. Where can I get the Ribu viatamin? I checked our COOP today and they didn't have any and the vitamin supplement I got her doesn't have it in it. As for having a cancer, does it just come on suddenly like this? Nothing else is abnormal with her. In fact she is actually able to hold one of her feet under her where as before it was on the side of her. Thanks so much for your input and replies. I really want to figure out what is going on with her.
Thanks so much!!

Quote:
And she isn't even a year old yet. Are you sure it could be a cancer?

Thats great thanks so much I will get an extra supplement tomorrow!! Do you suggest changing their feed? I'm assuming if this one is experiencing this the others will eventually also right? They are free to roam during the day and they do eat grass, etc.

Quote:
If it was me I would find a good game bird feed (one that has animal protein in it) and start feeding her about a 1 inch chunk of (raw) beef liver a day along with some spinach. It sounds to me like it may be a deficiency of riboflavin.
If it is a riboflavin deficiency you will have to supplement her diet with food/s rich in riboflavin B2, beef liver and spinach have a good amount of riboflavin in it.
http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/vitamin-b2-deficiency-d53.html

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
If it was me I would find a good game bird feed (one that has animal protein in it) and start feeding her about a 1 inch chunk of (raw) beef liver a day along with some spinach. It sounds to me like it may be a deficiency of riboflavin.
If it is a riboflavin deficiency you will have to supplement her diet with food/s rich in riboflavin B2, beef liver and spinach have a good amount of riboflavin in it.
http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/vitamin-b2-deficiency-d53.html

Chris

X2. I use Poultry Drench vitamins that I buy at Tractor Supply. Lost of folks on here use Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins that you can buy in a drug store - without iron.

Might consider lead poisoning or some other metal poison. Lead poisoning can cause paralysis in the feet and runny stools. You said they free range so the bird might have ingested lead someway. Just a thought.

Quote:
I doubt it's Lead Poisoning,
Chickens were found to tolerate levels of lead as high as 160 mg/kg/day without exhibiting clinical signs or hematological changes in spite of very high levels of lead in the blood (6.2 ppm). It is apparent from these findings that chickens are more resistant to lead poisoning than humans, horses, dogs and wild fowl such as ducks.

Also,
http://vdi.sagepub.com :

Twenty mixed-breed adult laying hens from a small farm flock in Iowa were clinically normal but had been exposed to chips of lead-based paint in their environment. These chickens were brought to the Iowa State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Ames, Iowa, where the concentration of lead in blood, eggs (yolk, albumen, and shell), and tissues (liver, kidney, muscle, and ovary) from 5 selected chickens was determined over a period of 9 days. Blood lead levels ranged from less than 50 to 760 ppb. Lead contamination of the yolks varied from less than 20 to 400 ppb, and shells were found to contain up to 450 ppb lead. Albumen contained no detectable amount. Lead content of the egg yolks strongly correlated with blood lead levels. Deposition of lead in the shells did not correlate well with blood lead levels. Mean tissue lead accumulation was highest in kidneys (1,360 ppb), with livers ranking second (500 ppb) and ovarian tissue third (320 ppb). Muscle contained the lowest level of lead (280 ppb). Lead contamination of egg yolks and edible chicken tissues represents a potential public health hazard, especially to children repeatedly consuming eggs from contaminated family-owned flocks.

Chris​

Thanks Chris for that info, good to know. I have a limited amount of knowledge concerning lead poisoning in wild birds, as my brother was a conservation agent for many years and dealt with Eagles and other raptors and told me about lead poisoning in those birds. That is what made me think of it.

Back
Top Bottom