What's wrong with my roo?!?!?!

kemcconnell

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 7, 2014
My speckled roo is about 10 weeks old and his comb is looking terrible! It's hard to tell in the picture, but he had what looked like a black scab on top of his beak, too. After chasing him around a little bit to get him contained, it looks like the "scab" came off. Anyone have any idea what's going on with my roo? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Oh... and he was doing this weird little neck movement thing this morning when I fist noticed the black comb, but doesn't seem to be doing it anymore... not sure if the two are related...

He has either been pecked by the other chickens, or he could possibly have fowl pox. What color are the scabs. Peck wounds usually are very black, while fowl pox scabs (a virus from mosquitoes) range in color from light tan to dark brown. Do you have other roosters, or older hens that could be picking on him?

He has either been pecked by the other chickens, or he could possibly have fowl pox. What color are the scabs. Peck wounds usually are very black, while fowl pox scabs (a virus from mosquitoes) range in color from light tan to dark brown. Do you have other roosters, or older hens that could be picking on him?
The scabs are definitely very black! And yes... there are more roosters and hens, so that's definitely a possibility. I'm going to give him some probiotics, electrolytes, and clean him up and then see how he does. Thanks so much!

That looks like dry fowl pox, I can see the scabs not only on his comb but his waddles as well. It will eventually go away but putting a little neosporin on the wounds a couple times a day can help. It can be spread but it is very rarely fatal. Make sure he is eating and drinking. They can get it in the form of wet pox as well, which can be fatal. Check in his mouth and if you see a cheesy substance you'll want to scrape it out. It appears he only has dry pox but you wouldn't really know unless you checked inside his mouth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom