what's wrong with Rasberry?

MARSHMALLOWPEEP

In the Brooder
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Boston
Rasberry is about 1 year old. Recently her comb gas gotten pale as well as her face. She is still eating and drinking, and follows the other chickens around but seems slower and more listless.

There is some white stuff on her vent that kind of looks like she sat in some paint.

I am treating everybody for worms using something I got at the feed store called Piperazine-17. Not sure if that's the problem but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Any ideas? Thanks. I'll try to post more pics, this is new to me.

47683_march22_011.jpg

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but it won't hurt to add some probiotics to her diet, try to get her to eat yogurt with a little oatmeal powder and perhaps some boiled egg. If you support her nutrition she'll have a little more energy to fight whatever's going on! Good luck with your little lady... oh btw a pic of her face would be nice too
lol.png

No other symptoms? No runny eyes/nose no sneezing? Is she laying? It may very well be a parasitic problem. I've never used piperazine-17 not sure what it treats for. I've used Ivomec in the past as it is pretty useful for most all parasites. How do her legs look? I lost a 2 roos this winter to a newbie problem like scaly leg mites... it literally sucks the life out of the bird. Putting her in a warm dark place in a box may also help her recover, you dont want her stressed.

Has Rasberry shown any signs of moulting. They can either slow down in the egg laying department or stop, if they stop their head gear tends to go pale.

Lice and mites can also cause anemia via loss of blood (head gear will go pale because of this).

The med you got is specific for roundworms and really needs to be followed up with a more potent wormer. The more potent wormer (which will be off label use btw) will also do in any mites or lice.

Not sure if it's lice or mites cuz it's just rasberry, wouldn't they all have it? And would that explain the white stuff on her butt? I may have to order stuff on line, I guess. As for molting, her head could use some more feathers and I considered that she was molting until I saw the white stuff on her butt. The white stuff is looking a little messy.

No, my birds had the scaly leg mites and fell off one by one because I didn't catch it at first. I wormed them with ivomec, smeared teatree oil mixed with bag balm on their legs and so far no more casualties and their legs look 10 times better!! Their symptoms were similar to yours but with mine being leg parasites they developed a limp. Yours may not be scaly leg so you get the other parasitic symptoms.
ETA you really need to treat all of them just in case and worming them twice a year is never a bad idea.

Last edited:
Calm down Everyone Your Bird is NOT diseases. Just a little poop on her butt feathers. Just wash or cut them off. Shes taking a break from laying im assuming
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom