What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
droolin.gif
Awesome! I'm sure glad to see some good news on these birds!

Hi guys this is a really interesting thread that I just found this morning, I'm at page 121 but I wanted to post while I catch up so you all are easier to find..LOL
Beautiful birds and this is so very cool............... will have to finish catching up tomorrow It's way past my bed time. 6Am is gonna be here before I even get to sleep hehe. see ya all tomorrow Kim

i read this thread last night before bed and woke up with some thoughts. Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, but I may have missed pages. 163! Whew!

So, genetically speaking, could this be a mutation in the growth/development? Perhaps something switching in the down also affects the maturation? It seems like fatalities arise near eggbearing/crowing, so could it be some issue with stunted growth? Does the down without pins affect warmth? Maybe they have temp regulation issues and don't roost together?

Some thoughts on roo on hen issues: I know there are some species that have built in "relative" detectors and will not breed with siblings because of the risk of mutations. Especially with a hen refusing a mate. She may sense that ill breeding is afoot. Or maybe the silkie feathers we all love and strive for are a sign of non-hearty offspring? Are the roos breeding well with others? How are those hatches doing? This is all very interesting! If the breeding is done responsibly (as it seems is happening) these may rise the ranks to stardom quickly.

So... how are the projects? I'm not able to breed (I am innkeeper and roosters would no doubt disturb some guests) but anyone culling hens should let me know! We have a pretty temperate winter here and I just think these birds are lovely!

Quote:
Well, all of the birds we have for this project originated from one single pair if I'm not mistaken, which were likely siblings. I wonder if the sudden deaths we are seeing are from heart anomalies. I *think* I read somewhere that heart problems are often one of the first issues to pop up with inbreeding chickens. Maybe I missed this, but has anyone done necropsies? Hopefully the more we cross out to pure good quality normal-feathered Ameraucanas for varied genetics, the stronger these guys will get.

Here we go with more bad luck...

I had 8 F2 chicks of various ages, 1 being silkie-feathered. All of them hatched on their own and have been thriving. Out of all of them the stupid silkie-feathered one drowned itself this weekend.
hit.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
It was at least a few weeks old, so plenty old enough to know better, and somehow drowned itself in the chick waterer. WT???

Quote:
Good heavens Kelly! Boy these make you guys really work for progress don't they? How are the tolbunts doing. Mine are huge now.
sharon

The Tolbunt hen is broody.
roll.png

ETA: I'm getting 2 gorgeous GL Polish chicks from the neighbor though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Good heavens Kelly! Boy these make you guys really work for progress don't they? How are the tolbunts doing. Mine are huge now.
sharon

The Tolbunt hen is broody.
roll.png

ETA: I'm getting 2 gorgeous GL Polish chicks from the neighbor though.
big_smile.png

Yay! I would have brought you some you know! LOL I may be making a trip to Homestead....haven't checked yet to see but hope to get some birds there soon. I am beginning to think I may have a pair actually. The one is bolder acting, has thicker legs and is beginning to get a bit larger than the other. He(?) also has the bent toe like the dad. (Does the mom have any bent toes?)
sharon

Back
Top Bottom