What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
The Tolbunt hen is broody.
roll.png

ETA: I'm getting 2 gorgeous GL Polish chicks from the neighbor though.
big_smile.png

Yay! I would have brought you some you know! LOL I may be making a trip to Homestead....haven't checked yet to see but hope to get some birds there soon. I am beginning to think I may have a pair actually. The one is bolder acting, has thicker legs and is beginning to get a bit larger than the other. He(?) also has the bent toe like the dad. (Does the mom have any bent toes?)
sharon

No, the dad just has a bent middle toe, but none on mom. Bring a GL hen or 2 when you come.
lol.png

Well....in good news....

I have one laying!!!

It might be the F1 smooth feathered pullet or one of the silkied pullets...dunno yet.

3 eggs so far!!

Minor updates: Starting to see weakness in my teenage batch of F1 crosses. Lost one blue female and it looks like a splash is on its way out as well. Very lethargic, stays away from the group. 16 left, 2.5 months old.

All fluffy chicks look and act healthy, with voracious appetites. Oldest is 4 weeks.

Well, I've confirmed the F1 is the girl laying, so I'm stuffing all of the eggs under broodies in batches of 4. I'm never going to complain about too many broodies again...at least not this month.

If she's fertile, 50% of the chicks ought to be Silkied, and that would be with additional genes from the Black Blehm birds, as my F1 is from Julie after she added the new stock. I still worry about 2 of the pullets from my group, as they are still very thin, but there isn't much more augmenting to be done to assist them...they have lush grass, UltraKibble, grains, baby parrot formula, even occasionally tuna or chicken...I know, it's gross to many.

At any rate, I've upped their fat intake many times and really can't figure out how to make them more robust. The F1 girl who is laying is far heavier and solid than the Silkied birds, but one of the roos is really working on manning out!

I'll update as I'm able on successful eggs...have some in the Rcom now, too.

3 new F2s are out and the 4th has pipped! That will make a 100% hatch rate for this batch! So far 1 splash and 2 blue. Keep your fingers crossed for silkied!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom