What's wrong with their feathers?

Sonoran's right about the inability to know what the boys are if you do leave the Black hens in there. You should leave them out for at least a couple of weeks and get a batch of eggs you KNOW will produce split and Choc boys. That's your fast track.

On the Silkieds, you should wait to work toward Lav until you have a Silkied Black, either gender. You want to know that all of the offspring are split to Lav, split to Silkied. If you have a mixed population and have to put splits together, you could lose track of the genes and have things crop up later you don't mean to...and worse, you could lose the genes you're working to infuse, because split to split also creates bird who get nothing from either parent: 25% express, 25% devoid, 50% split.

When you think of your B/B/S, you could really just match them up any which way- what colors do you want to produce?
With the Silkieds I'm working on getting black, so I have a way to get other colors. I'm right in that aren't I? I eventually want Lavender, so that was my reasoning. Maybe I should just stick to BBS and forget it. LOL I'll be happy with some of the right feathering. Once I get some to work with I can go from there.

The chocolates have nothing to do with the Silkieds, but I need to get more. I'd like those to be Silkieds eventually too, but they're bantams, so that's not anything in the to near future.

D.gif

Last edited:
OK what's going on with the thread? I wanna see chicks. I had 2 hatch Easter, but they were stuck in the shells and didn't make it after I helped them out. I have more due tomorrow, so here's hoping.

I also sent a couple of eggs as extras with and egg auction, so need some good hatching vibes and maybe a pair can start another project.

This thread has a misleading title and isn't really about troubleshooting odd feathers in general (we have since moved activity to a more appropriate named thread). I couldn't find a definitive Barred Rock thread, but this one might have folks who can help you. Otherwise you may want to start a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom