What's wrong with their feathers?

Help I don't know how to remove this !!!!

Hi Paulina. This thread was not really about feather problems, but about a feather mutation that occurred in some Ameraucana chickens. You would get better help posting your picture with a description in the Emergencies/illness/disease section of the forum.

You need to identify what type of mites or lice the chicken has to find the best treatment. There are several good articles on BYC or you can do a search on the internet for poultry lice and mites. No matter what type they are, you will need to treat your entire flock. Personally, I would start with some poultry dust to kill adult parasites. You will have to retreat when those eggs hatch, probably in a few days.

Found this on FB - answers some silky feather questions re spontaneous feather mutation

Sigrid van Dort
8 hrs
Interesting new paper on silkie gene:
A cis-regulatory mutation of PDSS2 causes silky-feather in Chickens. A must read for my English reading friends. Skip the complicated parts, first 2 pages can be read without a problem, good picture on page 3 skip the text there, page 4 second column good read, skip till page 9 'DISCUSSION', thats a good read too till Material and Methods.
I made a Dutch article of it because not all Dutch can read papers in English.
You can open the Dutc...h article (www.tuinvee.nl) to see photos of half silkied half smooth Silkies.
Check out the link below:
http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1004576#pgen.1004576-Gunnarsson1

Somehow I stumbled upon this thread...

Its addictive. I am restraining myself to reading here and there, and I have not skipped to the end to see how it all turns out!!! I hope its a happy ending
pop.gif

I know all the characters, I guess what is going to happen next...

So amazing as the pages and years go by...

Wonderful!!!
-A

edit : I am on p. 198 of 270.

Last edited:
I just finished!!! 2694 posts: unread 0!!!!
clap.gif

Now I can head over to the new thread. I did see it posted, but didn't want to ruin the flow of the story for myself!

I learned so much along the way so far, genetics, hatching, incubating, how normal seeming people...have a whole lot of chickens!
Ha!

Plus it was a great read. Like any good novel, I feel for the characters, the ups and downs....

Now on to the sequel!!!
celebrate.gif

I have black sweetish duck I believe she's the best duck ever but at 6 months still no feathers she's still small and I don't know why but she's healthy and in indoor duck fully anyone know anything about thus???

Hi Krissie23, this is a historical thread that moved to a new one because the title inadverdently led people to ask those sorts of questions on this thread - and we aren't the right thread to find those answers in. You'd have better luck starting a new thread.

I have no idea what would cause the complete lack of feathers in a duck, but that must be frustrating!

Are the original people still posting on this thread I would love to find out if everything was figured out and you have a new(?) breed!?

Are the original people still posting on this thread I would love to find out if everything was figured out and you have a new(?) breed!?

The project moved to a new thread, it's linked in my signature on this post. We're still working on them, though the new thread may seem quiet.

Back
Top Bottom