What's wrong with their feathers?

Sad news this morning - pipper #3 died in shell durring zip. Eggtopsy showed a perfect chick, position and all - I wish I had checked on it one more time last night - it looked fine, zipping away when I last checked.

Chick #1 didn't dry off - a bit gunky - so a bath this morning and back into the incubator. Chick 2 is drying off fine and moving about. No new pips, which worries me, but it is Day 21 today so they still have time.

Cup half full! 2 Live chicks and and hope for possibly more - chin up!
thumbsup.gif

ANY live hatches HAS to be considered a WIN!
Each progressive generation is moving towards improved vitality in offspring.
The post office factor is what it is and dosen't help.

Only about half way through reading this epic oddessy and while there has been a couple times detailed bator (and broody) techniques were relayed - sucessful and busts - I'm wondering if anyone has compiled and analysed them for patterns?

Even reposts by those with repeated hatching experience with these little guys might be timely with so many first timers (me included) spinning the wheel. Chickenlittle will be batoring, I'll be using a broody - tho I'm leaning towards pulling the eggs into a hatcher at day 20 to keep a closer eye on them. Temp and humidity level suggestion?

Sorry for the format, responding from my phone.

I'm not sure if anyone collected hatching data, but from what I remember reading dry hatches seemed to do well, with the caveat that chicks from early generations needed a ton more assistance and pampering at hatch (and even into adult hood). I had a near constant 40% humidity and the air cells were smaller than I would have liked - rain was not helping me there. I dry hatched with the above humidity average and a temp of about 100 degrees in a forced air incubator. Hatching in a still air incubator with 65-70% humidity and a floor level temp of 99.

I am dry incubating & have yet to have any problems. Last couple of hatches I also dry hatched also with good results. In @ 1 1/2 yrs breeding them, no mystery deaths either. I have a bunch of Silkied Ameraucana. Lots of pics - clink on the link in my signature.

Last edited:
Awesome to hear, CatKai! I think I need to see if I can get one more vent hole in my incubator to drop the humidity a bit further when needed. I was afraid to mess with it mid hatch.

I am dry hatching & have yet to have any problems. In @ 1 1/2 yrs breeding them, no mystery deaths either. I have a bunch of Silkied Ameraucana. Lots of pics - clink on the link in my signature.

I am dry hatching & have yet to have any problems. In @ 1 1/2 yrs breeding them, no mystery deaths either. I have a bunch of Silkied Ameraucana. Lots of pics - clink on the link in my signature.
I dry incubate, as well- it's sooooo humid here I find that even in forced air, it HAS to be that way.

It was brutal for a bit, and when I lost the last of my original stock I nearly quit the project. It was just soooooo hard! Nearly 20 original birds!

Almost all of my unexplained deaths were original stock from Jubaby. NONE of them made it through a second winter. I have kept almost all second generation birds alive, and have not had any issues with 3rd or 4th gen birds hatching or living normally. Mind you, mine are nearly all splits because of the aggressive influx of outcrossing breeder stock genes, but that was my goal!!

Now I'm on to 4th/5th gen stock, and they are hatching normally, unassisted, and appear vigorous.

Sorry for the format, responding from my phone.

I'm not sure if anyone collected hatching data, but from what I remember reading dry hatches seemed to do well, with the caveat that chicks from early generations needed a ton more assistance and pampering at hatch (and even into adult hood). I had a near constant 40% humidity and the air cells were smaller than I would have liked - rain was not helping me there. I dry hatched with the above humidity average and a temp of about 100 degrees in a forced air incubator. Hatching in a still air incubator with 65-70% humidity and a floor level temp of 99.

Amen. That's a valid assessment. Especially in our region, dry incubation appears to be the best approach. You can always slow evaporation, but you can't make up for too much mass late in the game.

Sad news this morning - pipper #3 died in shell durring zip. Eggtopsy showed a perfect chick, position and all - I wish I had checked on it one more time last night - it looked fine, zipping away when I last checked.

Chick #1 didn't dry off - a bit gunky - so a bath this morning and back into the incubator. Chick 2 is drying off fine and moving about. No new pips, which worries me, but it is Day 21 today so they still have time.

I hope you get a ton!!

They're hereeeeeeeeeeee!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Chookschicks ROCKS! Foam forms each w 6 cutouts for individual eggs inside a box. Bubble wrap, air packs and a second box. Not to mention generous w extras being a gross understatement. Even the couple marans I'd wished "might" happen to fall in the box magicly appeared. Unretouched phone pics.

Brooding under the scovy sounds like a good way to go then - scovies are a dryer hatch by nature. Also thinking rigging up a hatcher from day 20 a good idea. Don't want to risk a hatchling squish or accidently getting knocked out with these babys. They are planned to hatch before the ducks btw. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Kim you kill me! How on earth do you do it? Get this 11 babies hatched out...two got help...three have already died...8 more under a broody and 4 more under another broody. Btw deb is gonna be coming to Corsicana I lost one very nice splash fluffy....maybe time for a trade....sigh huh two black babies of course one died....no reason not even made it out of the brooder yet....no idea....

Oh and btw....now only two originals from alicefelldown ....all have passed away...they are super susceptible to respiratory crap....we are humid here! My last fluffy girl is here in the house,fighting for her life...we are trying...

I was NOT AIMING my earlier comments on EEs AT anyone in particular...it just happens and people think they are getting one thing,but ended up with another...regardless of how you choose to improve the breed DO IT! Is is heartbreaking,it is awesome ,it is worth while and important.they are sweet birds,beautiful to look at. Shoot we are working on LAV fluffies! Generations away! But we're Doing it....talk about AOV lol....LAV is NOT a recognized am color...I believe they can only be shown AOV right? I want lav fluffies then maybe LAV splash...

When I first started we spent days researching what kind of chickens we had....they were a gorgeous group of EEs ..in researching we fell in love with AMs...the rest is history...

i have been following this project from about page 3 and now we are on page 239... i think it is really cool and really want some of them... but i have 2 many projects going as it is... i have learned not to over extend my self as bad any more lol... it is the birds/breeds that suffer when u do... give this another year or so and i would love to get some and join in the breeding project... just wanted y'all to know that i am cheering you on and to keep up the good work!!!

Back
Top Bottom