What's wrong with their feathers?

This thread interests me only from the perspective of what seems like a very unusual and remote genetic incident that is hard to define. I find discussion about how it might have happened educational and not confrontational. It seems like far to frequently we view debate as confrontation and it is far from one and the same.

I frankly find it naive and a bit silly to have no curiosity as to how this occurred and would suggest a continued discussion.

I read all posts and to a person people seem excited about what could be a new variety.

I also want to compliment the OP for being so open to the discussion.

Just saying

Wow! How Beautiful! I'm jealous!
love.gif

Quote:
I do believe that is how most of us see it as well. Thank you. Julie (jubaby) has been nothing but kind and responsible about her special find, and sharing it with the rest of us.

There would be no debate and interest on this topic were in not unique and interesting to us all.

Those are beautiful - had I seen this earlier I would have made room for some

I wonder if the member(s) with the true AMs and someone with show silkies could each do a cross, one cross with their hen, one cross with their roo to see what shows up, then back cross to the new type.

Umn...

EDIT:

---I missed a page or two in reading... so when are those trial crosses going to show chicks?

Last edited:
I might do such a cross. I have three show type white silkies and a splash ameraucana roo... Just for the sake of illustration I could post pics of the resulting offspring and how it develops.... I got time... I am curious also how a silkie/ameraucana cross would come out. Since there are blue/green laying silkie lines, I assume someone has crossed these two varieties in the past decades, no reason the type could not have been artificially reverted one way and not the other, all the while hiding the silkie genes if they were not ever doubled up on... just tossing a bone to the other side here.

Hi! It is either one of 2 things: a spontaneous mutation or recombining of recessive genes.

Either way... the splash Ameraucana in question LOOK like Ameraucana and lay blue eggs.
They appear to breed true --- can't argue with that (I'd like to insert a big fat raspberry, but that would be juvenile).
Silkie feathers (small 's', not the breed, but the characteristic of the feathers) are hook-less (take a regular feather and shred it. you can groom it back into shape because it has hooks and barbels that 'catch' .)
They are without question to my small mind: silkie-feathered Ameraucana (note the small s to denote 'feathering' and not breed).
smile.png

Lisa

It's gone from " what's wrong with their feathers ? " , to " who made the cross ? " , to " was it a cross or mutation ? " , to an arguement over what to call them , and circles a little LOL . I'm not sure at this point if its possible for me to get off subject
lol.png
As far as the origin of the silky feathers , I have seen recessive traits crop out of animals that have beat the odds as far as all chances of such recessive traits still being present . I've also seen colors crop out that are thought to be dominate that neither parent had ; and the off colored individuals [ pups in one instance and a Thoroughbred in the other ] not only prooved to be out of the proper parents by DNA tests but also reproduced the color as dominate from that point on . These things pique my curiosity , and I have to think on them awhile , but then move on . I'm pretty sure there are others that are going to try to reproduce their own version and it will be difficult to do in just two or three generations [ sillky feathers , clean legs , four toes , large fowl in size , pure for blue eggs ? ] . To me there has been a power greater than man at work here .

Back
Top Bottom