What's wrong with their feathers?

I, personally, think it is a mutation. Possibly the result of some inbreeding. As soon as you begin inbreeding, you start seeing all kinds of oddities pop up.

5 fully hatched now. I have not helped any of them at all. #1 was in the hatcher when I woke up this morning. I have been outside alot of today. I came inside to find #3 and #4 hatched, and as I was typing here on BYC, #5 hatched out! I am so excited!
celebrate.gif

I see at least on more pip. Today is day 21, so they are right on time.

Last edited:
# 6 has now hatched, and I didn't even see that pip. Still another pip that I see, and possibly 2.
Shipped eggs, hot weather ...... WOW, this is great!
celebrate.gif

The first five ..... There is one splash and the others are blues. The splash would be from the blue hen Julie has. These guys are full of vigor!

31282_8-07-10_118.jpg

31282_8-07-10_119.jpg

So what is this cross again? Two silkied ameraucana parents or is one parent a normal feathered bird?

Last edited:
One 'Silkied' Ameraucana (with no Silkie parents) crossed with a smooth feather normal Ameraucana. These crosses should be 100% smooth feather carriers of the recessive hookless.

All pure 'Silkied' Ameraucana crosses come out fully 'silkied' - expressing hookless.

The test mating of 'Silkied' Ameraucana x pure Silkie birds all came out fully hookless, with black skin, five toes, and I believe vaulted skulls. This is how we were able to determine it was hookless and not fray.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom