What's wrong with their feathers?

Very interesting, Ray! Thanks for posting your pictures. Definitely ask the breeder if they are aware of other chicks from their stock turning out with this feathering. Seems three chicks out of six is a pretty high ratio.

And the second one's coloring looks like a typical EE to me, but I'm no expert here.

I got a big box of Ameraucana chicks from Jean Ribbeck yesterday! My intention is to work on silkie feathered Wheatens. I got a few buffs, blacks, and lavenders as well...

32940_photo-31.jpg

My silkied cockerel is still doing well. He as been named "Warhol" due to the similarity in hairdos.

32940_photo-34.jpg

Warhol is a PERFECT name! I love it!

Hmm....I wonder how silky feathers are at retaining heat vs. regular feathers....I may need to add some of these guys to my mix for the ultimate Alaskan snow-chicken!

Hi guys! I haven't checked in for a while, but here's a quick update. I hatched 2 F1 splits about 5 weeks ago. I lost one of them while I was in the hospital a week later (having my baby) and am down to 1. What do I do with 1?! Maybe someone can ship me an extra hen or roo (depending on what mine is) at some point in the future?

Quote:
I have had Silkies for a couple of months, lol, and don't know how they handle snow- we will soon find out!!! But I can tellyou that they do NOT handle rain very well- they get wet and their hair flattens out and plasters to their bodies- mine are white, so you see their black skin through the hair, and they look just like little, pitiful dinosaurs. Silkies do NOT like rain!!! LOL

Quote:
I hope we can all help each other out with chicks and started roos/pullets when the time comes to keep their original blood strong!

Quote:
I hope we can all help each other out with chicks and started roos/pullets when the time comes to keep their original blood strong!

I am sending out all that I hatched. I should be getting fertile eggs any day now. I will hatch all that I get and send them out also. I have no intention of keeping them all to myself, and want to get out as many as I can to interested people.

Quote:
How can you tell it is a roo? What are you noticing there? These are so difficult to sex.

Kathy, you have a good heart and you are much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom