What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
I'm also wondering if the genes responsible for these silkied birds (and perhaps even the first Silkies) is the same as the one responsible for the "wooly" Hedemora chickens, another isolated landrace.

Seems the silkie gene is very primitive, and may have a tendency to pop up in certain populations.

I had never heard of the Hedemora untill I read your post . I looked them up ; I'm thinking they're ideal for your winters LOL . However , if what I read is accurate , the " wooley " version have regular feathers buried beneath protruding down and the others have the heavy down but it remains under the feathers . I would guess it is unrelated to silkied .

Just a few pics from the flock. Nothing too exciting to report. Just waiting for crowing or eggs!

Here are Warhol and Liza. I hatched Warhol, and Kathy shipped my Liza a few weeks ago. They're both super sweet birds. I'm glad of that. I don't really have plans to mate them to each other, but if they mature before my Wheatens do, I might give it a try. I don't expect any better hatch rates that we've all been getting, but it will probably get a few more birds out there.
32940_warholliza.jpg

Here's Liza, and the little F1 from Kathy. I think it's a boy. I can always pair him with Liza, while I mate Warhol to the Wheatens. I'm not entirely sure how he will play into the project, but more genetically robust silkied birds would be welcomed. I'll wait a few more weeks to determine sex before I make too many plans.
32940_lizaf1.jpg

Here are a couple of my Wheatens as well. I have one older pullet from a May hatch from Jean Ribbeck's eggs, and the others are about 8 week old chicks. I have one blue wheaten cockerel that I'm quite fond of.
32940_ashley2.jpg

32940_bluewheaten.jpg

So for now, no big news. The newbies are getting well acclimated to their new home and each other. I'm working on their country breeding pen when the get too loud to be in the city.

It sounds like a fun and interesting project. Wheaton silkied Americaunas would be striking.

Here are my four F1s in a temporary pen. I am having to build a pen just for them that is critter proof.

038.jpg

Quote:
That Kathy is a very nice lady isn't she ? Your new pullet is nice and I think the silkied wheatens would be gorgeous [ though years of work to create ] . Enjoy the experience and best wishes for your move to the country !

Quote:
That Kathy is a very nice lady isn't she ? Your new pullet is nice and I think the silkied wheatens would be gorgeous [ though years of work to create ] . Enjoy the experience and best wishes for your move to the country !

I may well be wrong, but I think in my second generation I should start seeing a small number of Wheatens, and a small number of them will be silkied. I will need to hatch a BUNCH. (time for that Sportsman incubator????)

I'm sure it will take a few generations to get a pure consistent Wheaten coloration, but I've got a good 50 years left to get it right.
wink.png

Quote:
Great looking birds! Pardon my asking, but how do you have a black one? Wasn't the cross between a splash silkied roo, and a black Ameraucana? The only option is blue chicks... Unless that's a SUPER dark blue. Just curious. Do you know what sexes you have yet?

Quote:
Great looking birds! Pardon my asking, but how do you have a black one? Wasn't the cross between a splash silkied roo, and a black Ameraucana? The only option is blue chicks... Unless that's a SUPER dark blue. Just curious. Do you know what sexes you have yet?

I have no idea how I ended up with a black bird. He is a very black, black, with solid black beak, legs and even black toenails. I know what super dark blue looks like and there is nothing blue about this bird.

Quote:

I have no idea how I ended up with a black bird. He is a very black, black, with solid black beak, legs and even black toenails. I know what super dark blue looks like and there is nothing blue about this bird.

I think Julie had both black and blue Ameraucanas that she put in with Ozzie, Jr.

ETA: What am I thinking.... that still would not produce black.

Black x Black = Black.
Splash x Splash = Splash
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash

Thank you for the nice comment Steve. I'm blushing.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

Back
Top Bottom