What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
Would the saying "a watched pot never boils" apply to chickens too?
wink.png

Not only that, but they get indignant about the nose smudges on their beaks...

lol.png

Sooo....I put the fluffy roo (I decided to name him Taz) in with Tess (my F1 hen) this afternoon and Tess proceded to beat the bejesus out of him!
ep.gif
I'm talking bloody, all within about 60 seconds. Poor guy. So I took him out and put him next to her so she can get use to him first. I also removed Trip (F1 roo) from the pen and now I'm not sure what to use him for. I think I'll put my Sizzle in with him and hatch some cute blue egg laying silkied-feathered mutts.
lol.png

A small update:

One of my incubators with Half Fluffy / Half F1 eggs finished last night. Several of the chicks were able to hatch on their own, without intervention. At least 3, possibly four of these have fluffy feathers!!! Two Splash and One Blue, with a Splash maybe.

However, a small handful did not hatch as easily, they zipped before fully absorbing the yolk. Normally, I won't help chicks (especially after a 5 day lockdown!), but these are fluffies!!! The membrane around their zip-line had dried and was stuck, with the rest of the membrane still soft and moist. I have these ones isolated in a seprate brooder, as they are obviously weaker than their siblings. If any survive and are fluffy they will be marked and used in case of last resort.

Pictures this weekend!

* A second incubator with the same eggs is scheduled for lockdown on the 26th - should have plenty of fluffy chicks to work with!

I love hearing about these hatches! My five little survivors are doing great. They're probably getting tired of me checking on them and watching them trying in vain to figure out their genders way too early LOL

Quote:
I love my blue/green-egg-laying, Silkie-X chickens! I'm dreaming about an APA standard Silkie who lays blue eggs!

ETA: These Silkie and Silkie-X hens are spirited, aren't they? I put one of my little hens in with an Ameraucana roo who is twice her size, and she proceeded to show him who was boss! Then, of course, she let him believe he was boss.
wink.png

Last edited:
Well, Tess is still beating the bejesus out of the fluffy roo, but I decided to just leave them together. He's going to have to man up one of these days if he's going to get his job done.
lol.png
He's missing most of the feathers on his back now, but at least she's not making him bloody any more.

I'm up to a total of 8 F2 chicks...2 black, 5 blue, and 1 splash. I don't think any of them are fluffy, but I can't tell for sure on the youngest 3 yet.

I also just set 8 fluffy eggs and 4 F1 eggs from Julie last night!
woot.gif
There were a couple fluffy eggs that didn't make the trip, but I'm glad the rest of them did and I can't wait to see how they do!

Quote:
Kelly,

Sorry the eggs didn't ship well. I hope some of them hatch for you.
sad.png

Hope the hen and rooster start to get along, so you can get some of your own eggs to hatch.

Quote:
Kelly,

Sorry the eggs didn't ship well. I hope some of them hatch for you.
sad.png

Hope the hen and rooster start to get along, so you can get some of your own eggs to hatch.

It's ok...shipping goes like that sometimes. 2 were cracked beyond repair and I dropped 1 on the way to the bator.
hide.gif
I'll let you know how it goes!

I have a silkie-feathered blue F2 Ameraucanca!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
woot.gif
Can you tell I'm excited?!

ETA: And it's super duper fluffy AND it hatched by itself!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom