What's wrong with their feathers?

Hi! I bought one of the batches of auction eggs. I am trying to read ALL of this head because I've a lot of questions but it is so long, so please forgive me as I'm sure the answers are here somewhere.

Someone referenced survivability. Is there some inbreeding issues or is it something else? I'm wondering if I should outcross immediately. Is fluffy-feathered Americauna their name or just a description? I would like to join your project....

Hi! I bought one of the batches of auction eggs. I am trying to read ALL of this head because I've a lot of questions but it is so long, so please forgive me as I'm sure the answers are here somewhere.

Someone referenced survivability. Is there some inbreeding issues or is it something else? I'm wondering if I should outcross immediately. Is fluffy-feathered Americauna their name or just a description? I would like to join your project....

Welcome! Yes, survivability has been rough. Some of the eggs have been hard to hatch, chicks weak, and older birds just drop dead without warning. Since they all originate from Jubaby's original pair, inbreeding was pretty inevitable. Most of us are working on crossing out to good quality Ameraucanas for this reason and the eggs you got are probably already improved some. As for name, I've been calling mine silkied, since that's what the trait is called in other breeds.

Keep us updated on your hatch! :D

These birds are not silkie-ameraucana crosses. I know there's a lot to read, but please do as those of us who have spent time working on this project have done a lot of research and investigating into why Jubaby's original pair came out the way they did (and how to breed them true).

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping the eggs arrive today. I'm a little nervous as I've been reading about their hatch rates, but I guess if I get one silkied to hatch that would be enough to go forward. I am going to wait until any chicks are 3 weeks old to get some regular ameraucana eggs. All I have are a couple of EE's. Can someone recommend someone who sells quality ameraucana eggs?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping the eggs arrive today. I'm a little nervous as I've been reading about their hatch rates, but I guess if I get one silkied to hatch that would be enough to go forward. I am going to wait until any chicks are 3 weeks old to get some regular ameraucana eggs. All I have are a couple of EE's. Can someone recommend someone who sells quality ameraucana eggs?

I may have eggs by the time you are ready, and mine are now many different lines. I have a Silkied roo from Julie's mother/son pairing, a split hen from Julie's Blehm Black pairing, a split cockerel from a pairing with my Paint Ameraucana project, and now 4 from Alicefelldown from her improvements. I'm getting eggs right now from my own mix of a Bantam Wheaten Ameraucana hen and my Silkied roo from Julie's mother/son pairing. They will be split chicks.

I'd be happy to trade if you like- pm me.

I'm excited to be part of this project!! I am getting two batches of eggs this week and hope to then add in a couple of my ameraucana's out of William Morrow lines. Really excited to get started on this...don't know what I'll do for the next 21 days...or what I'll do while I wait for those first eggs!!!
jumpy.gif

My eggs arrived! My plan if I get both silkied and split chicks is to breed the silkied to a regular ameraucana to increase the gene pool, and breed the splits to a silkied. I hadn't thought about trading but it sounds like a good idea rather then breeding them to a half sibling. I'm still not even halfway through this thread but had a question about the original pair. Is all of their offspring out of both of them or have they been bred to regular ameracaunas too?

Back
Top Bottom