What's wrong with their feathers?

I am up to 5/6 hatched and waiting for 1 more to get with it.
fl.gif
Pics after they are dry! Can't tell fluffy from smooth on my dry chicks, probably wait a few days on that.

Ok done! Now these were not shipped eggs... I collected these over the 1st week after my birds were shipped. As of 8am, 6/6 have hatched with no help! I had humidity issues almost daily before lock down with it getting into the teens. Otherwise kept it at 30-35% and went to 65-70% at lock down. My bator runs a bit warmer than it should so early hatch but it was earlier than I normally see. They were only in lock down for 1 1/2 days before they started to hatch. So I expected a bad hatch...

So 1 splash and 5 blues. Some have light colored fronts and cheeks while others are silver all over. Not stressing over silkied or not yet, they all look the same and I know they can't all be silkied
wink.png

Last edited:
Whesh! I just read all 205 Pages :) - I really enjoyed all the information and the pictures.
Thanks everyone for sharing all of this... I look forward to the updates.

YEAH!!! Looks like I'll need to get ahold of you for eggs in the near future!!
wink.png

Ok done! Now these were not shipped eggs... I collected these over the 1st week after my birds were shipped. As of 8am, 6/6 have hatched with no help! I had humidity issues almost daily before lock down with it getting into the teens. Otherwise kept it at 30-35% and went to 65-70% at lock down. My bator runs a bit warmer than it should so early hatch but it was earlier than I normally see. They were only in lock down for 1 1/2 days before they started to hatch. So I expected a bad hatch...

So 1 splash and 5 blues. Some have light colored fronts and cheeks while others are silver all over. Not stressing over silkied or not yet, they all look the same and I know they can't all be silkied
wink.png

So sad...got home from work this morning to find one of the silkied splashes dead!!
hit.gif
My husband had checked on them just a couple hours before hand and he said everyone looked fine! I don't know what happened for sure...but I'm hoping everyone else is ok! They are all very spunky and eating and drinking. We have keep the brooder inside because I don't want to risk anything...so I know it wasn't a heat issue. Keeping my fingers crossed that everybody makes it!!

This project is so cool! I read the whole thing a while ago and have been following ever since. I find genetics fascinating (until i get to all the numbers and letters that I don't understand :) .) The birds are so cute and I hope to see more grow to adulthood in the future. Maybe one day I'll be able to get some real chickens, and then one day after that one of these fluffies! (Right now I just have a picture of a chicken in my kitchen because I live in an apartment lol)

So sad...got home from work this morning to find one of the silkied splashes dead!!
hit.gif
My husband had checked on them just a couple hours before hand and he said everyone looked fine! I don't know what happened for sure...but I'm hoping everyone else is ok! They are all very spunky and eating and drinking. We have keep the brooder inside because I don't want to risk anything...so I know it wasn't a heat issue. Keeping my fingers crossed that everybody makes it!!

I'm so sorry
hit.gif
It's crazy how super fragile these guys are. Fingers crossed for no more losses
others-301.GIF

Trish

Trish I so appreciate the offer to help with eggs!! Kim is gonna set us up with chicks and eggs so that will be a great start here! If I need another line,which is possible! Where is your line from? Mine is from Alicefelldown and kathyinmo...I think almost all these bird originate from one pair of bro/sister right? I will be outcrossing to Lav and Blue AMs as soon as mine are breeding age and will also be trying to get eggs to people who want to join the project... my little one (knock on wood) is doing great thus far!

Back
Top Bottom