What's wrong with their feathers?

That would be my guess, that she was exposed to a split roo before you got her. If you get the same thing out of her after she is with the fluffy roo at your house for a month then I might think differently.
So far we've seen what would be expected of a simple recessive trait. These birds were crossed with a silkie to check and they definitely carry the same gene. I wouldn't say 5 chicks is enough to say anything odd is going on...just the luck of the draw since each egg had a 50% chance of being smooth. Just like families with 5 kids that are all one gender...nothing funny going on, just luck of the draw.

That would make sense if there were split roos in the pen too. Maybe they were younger and she probably thought they weren't breeding yet. Sometimes those boys can be sneaky!

I'll try to snap a couple of pics tomorrow....based on feathering, I'd like opinions on roos or hens. I have one splash silkied that looks to be behind in the feather department...so I'm wondering if I ended up with just the one roo?? That would be my dream hatch in any other situation!
big_smile.png
I'll post for opinions tomorrow!!!

why must we BEG for pics from people with BABIES?!?!
droolin.gif
Bring on the pics!!!

My 4 babies are 3 days old and doing great!

I'm pretty sure the 2 that hatched from my younger F2s are mutts (they were in with young EE cockerels as well as their F2 brother b/c I didn't expect them to lay yet!) so they'll just join my layer flock. They have yellow down with black spots, so it will be fun to see what color they turn out. I love EEs!

The other 2 chicks (from my older F2 group that are pure) look to be smooth feathered, which is ok b/c it was a long shot to get silkied F3s. 1 blue, 1 splash. If they're hens they'll go on to join the project further down the road.

I have 12 Wheaten Ameraucana eggs and 3 more F3 eggs due on 3/1, then 5 more F3 eggs due on 3/10. That'll be it for me in the hatching department for a few weeks since I'll be on vacation.

One of the split line B hens I got from alicefelldown started laying again today! Woo-hoo!! She's in with a silkied blue roo from alice's line A. The people who are getting a batch of F2 x silkied eggs from me in the next couple weeks will get these too, unless they don't want them, which I doubt.
lol.png

I think that's it for news on my end. Keep your fingers crossed for more babies in a couple days!

Ok...here's a couple of pics. Now, forgive the quality, as I just snapped them on my phone...I'll take some better pics with my camera when I have a hand from my husband! (not for the chicks...for the kids! LOL)

Smooth feathered splash

Silkied splash (Based on feathering rate alone, I'm thinking this is a roo)

Silkied splash

Silkied blue

Smooth blue

In the brooder (don't mind the black chick in the corner...that's a little golden laced cochin chick...only one who hatched out of the batch, so he's become an ameraucana! HA!)

My Smith line Ameraucanas...after getting them out of the bator, I am pretty sure I did get one little black chick, so I'm VERY excited about that!!!

Edited to add: Thoughts on sex at this point??? Based on leg size, I'm wondering if that silkied blue is roo as well??? I don't know...maybe they are all roos!! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Last edited:
yesss.gif

My 4 babies are 3 days old and doing great!

I'm pretty sure the 2 that hatched from my younger F2s are mutts (they were in with young EE cockerels as well as their F2 brother b/c I didn't expect them to lay yet!) so they'll just join my layer flock. They have yellow down with black spots, so it will be fun to see what color they turn out. I love EEs!

The other 2 chicks (from my older F2 group that are pure) look to be smooth feathered, which is ok b/c it was a long shot to get silkied F3s. 1 blue, 1 splash. If they're hens they'll go on to join the project further down the road.

I have 12 Wheaten Ameraucana eggs and 3 more F3 eggs due on 3/1, then 5 more F3 eggs due on 3/10. That'll be it for me in the hatching department for a few weeks since I'll be on vacation.

One of the split line B hens I got from alicefelldown started laying again today! Woo-hoo!! She's in with a silkied blue roo from alice's line A. The people who are getting a batch of F2 x silkied eggs from me in the next couple weeks will get these too, unless they don't want them, which I doubt.
lol.png

I think that's it for news on my end. Keep your fingers crossed for more babies in a couple days!

Soooo... my chicks from BYC TinyBirds are starting to feather in... they are 7-9 days now...
I am thinking these 4 chicks pictured below might just be feathering in fluffy...

2 of the chicks have normal / smooth feathers like the one below

I would love to hear from what some of you seasoned fluffy / silkied ameraucana peeps think! :)
... if you *click* on the pics you can see larger images :)

Last edited:
I think you are right! But I'll let the more seasoned pro's chime in!!
big_smile.png

Soooo... my chicks from BYC TinyBirds are starting to feather in... they are 7-9 days now...
I am thinking these 4 chicks pictured below might just be feathering in fluffy...

2 of the chicks have normal / smooth feathers like the one below

I would love to hear from what some of you seasoned fluffy / silkied ameraucana peeps think! :)
... if you *click* on the pics you can see larger images :)

Back
Top Bottom