What's wrong with their feathers?

I really hope the lack of discussion is because everyone is so busy having fun they don't get on to talk about their fuzzies...

I've got about 2 dozen juvenile Splits to pass out. PM me if you are interested. I am heavy on boys, but will sell juvenile pairs as best I can sex them. These are Blues and Splashes, and all are split to the fuzzy gene, with the mamas having been silkied and the papa a split. I'm keeping the fuzzies from this pairing.

I will ship, but will ask you to send me the box, and I'm guessing the box will be 2# and each chick will be ~2.5#. My zip code is 66044.

I'll be getting the broodies back together with the fellows this week and will have eggs in a few weeks.

My wheaten hens should start laying soon, and my Chocolate splits are coming along wonderfully. The Chocolate Orp roo passed on these thick short little legs and a lot of fluff, but they look healthy, and that's most important!!

Hello all! Hope folks are still out there working with this project. I have some split pullets and cockerels(heavy on the cockerels), a couple silkied cockerels and working on growing out a few true Ameraucana for the silkied boys. I think I will be looking for some Ameraucana pullets that are already laying for them, as it appears that the ones I am growing out may be mostly roos.
Anyway, I was just wondering if others are seeing some unique colors on there birds? My friend and I hatched seven eggs last spring. We have 4 cockerels(which I raised) and 3 pullets(which she raised). Out of my cockerels I have a black, a lite blue and what appeared to be two splashes. Well now the both splashes arent just splashes, but seem to have red leakage? The one I named Silver, because he was a beautiful silvery gray color with some diluted blue splashes, started showing some dark red on his breast and wings quite a while ago. Silver also has some gold showing on his wings now. Just yesterday I notices that my boy Jules, who has appeared very splash has little spots of dark red in the center of each wing. It is a small area and I almost didnt see it because of the black splashes. Has anyone else had this sort of thing pop up?
I also recently aquired the silkied cockerels(mentioned above) and a couple more splits from a different place then my eggs came from. These splits are a splash cockerel and a blue pullet. The funny thing is that even though they come from different folks(I know they all started the same place) and different breedings, the splash cockerel also has some red on his wings. So I know it isnt just the line that my eggs came from....anyone else?

Here is a pic of Silver's wing, sorry about the quality I only have my phone camera right now. This was from a few weeks ago, there is even more red/gold now.

Here is a pic of Silvers chest/neck. The picture isnt very good so it is hard to see the red, but there is even more now.

I will try to get some more current pictures and post them. Hope to hear from some of the other folks with these birds.

It was so quiet in here.

I'm pretty sure my one one is a cockerel. He's a split, so if I breed him is there even a chance that I'll ever see my silkied gene show up?

if he is a split he will pass the gene on to 50% of his off spring... so then u would have to breed him back to his offspring and if you had 2 that where both split u get 25% that express the gene... the hard part is the numbers u would have to hatch... i would try to hatch 25+ chicks from him and then breed him to about 10 of his daughters and then hatch about 100 chicks if it was me... if u did that and the numbers hold up you would get 12.5 fluffy chicks out of 100...

for the cost of feed it would pro be better to just spend a couple hundred dollars and get a few fluffies shipped to you...

or you could try eggs again and again until u get them lol...
It was so quiet in here.

I'm pretty sure my one one is a cockerel. He's a split, so if I breed him is there even a chance that I'll ever see my silkied gene show up?

if he is a split he will pass the gene on to 50% of his off spring... so then u would have to breed him back to his offspring and if you had 2 that where both split u get 25% that express the gene... the hard part is the numbers u would have to hatch... i would try to hatch 25+ chicks from him and then breed him to about 10 of his daughters and then hatch about 100 chicks if it was me... if u did that and the numbers hold up you would get 12.5 fluffy chicks out of 100...

for the cost of feed it would pro be better to just spend a couple hundred dollars and get a few fluffies shipped to you...

or you could try eggs again and again until u get them lol...
Out of almost $200 worth of eggs, I have one. I think I might take my chances with hatching out hundreds. LOL It won't be for a while anyway. I have to look up how old he is. I left him in a brooder for way too long because I was afraid of losing him like the last one, but I figured he was going to make it or he wasn't, so he's cooped now. I need to by a new memory card for my phone, so I can get some pics of him. I think he's beautiful, but maybe it's my pocket book talking. LOL

Last edited:
Wolftracks, after following your lack to luck all this time with hatching them, I'd say at this point as long as he's silkied he could have 3 eyes and 4 legs and appear beautiful to me! hehe.

I have kept up with this thread for a year or so,
hide.gif
I find it fascinating! I don't have the ability to have these but it is certainly fascinating. I was wondering does Jubaby still have the originals or is she all out of it?
idunno.gif

Wolftracks, after following your lack to luck all this time with hatching them, I'd say at this point as long as he's silkied he could have 3 eyes and 4 legs and appear beautiful to me! hehe.
He isn't silkied, but his father was and mother was split. I may just have a pretty EE at this point.

So if the father was silkied and the mom a split, I think all offspring will be either silkied or splits. So if a bird from this sort of pairing appears smooth feathered it should be a split. I think with a silkied and a split pairing each chick has a 50% chance to be silkied and a 50% chance to be split for silkied. Right?
So 2 of my splits bred together should give each chick a 50% chance to be split, 25% chance to be totally smooth feathered and a 25% chance to be silkied. Not sure I like those odds, and without lots of test breeding I wont be able to tell the splits from totally straight/smooth birds. I guess the answer will be to hope the two silkied roos I have live long enough to breed.

Back
Top Bottom