What's wrong

missbrit2006

Chirping
Mar 31, 2015

As @beb444 suggested she may be molting.
How old is she?
Do you have a rooster?
Have you check her for mites/lice?
Another picture of her standing if you have one, so we can see all of her.

I suspect that it is either rooster treading or mites/lice/depluming mites since you have more than one hen that looks like that. It could be motling. You may want to boost their protein to promote feather growth, not sure where you are located, but if you are in a colder climate they will need those feathers to stay warm.

Here's an article that will help you with mites and of course there are numerous article about mites/lice/molt/rooster damage here on BYC.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

What can I feed them to help grow the feathers back? Should I put these two separate from the others

What can I feed them to help grow the feathers back? Should I put these two separate from the others

You can add extra protein to promote feather growth.
Some things I have see suggested:
Feed an all flock type feed (has a higher protein than layer), this can be fed to everyone regardless of age/laying status, just give oyster shells on the side for calcium.
Meat scraps and tuna are a good source of protein.
There is also a commercial "Feather Fixer" food that is made by Manna Pro you can find it at Tractor Supply, your local feed store or online. I haven't tried this one, but some people say it works well.
I'm sure others will have great ideas as well.
@beb444 made a good suggestion, to put aprons or saddles on them, this will help protect the new growth coming in.

How many hens to rooster do you have?

You can add extra protein to promote feather growth.
Some things I have see suggested:
Feed an all flock type feed (has a higher protein than layer), this can be fed to everyone regardless of age/laying status, just give oyster shells on the side for calcium.
Meat scraps and tuna are a good source of protein.
There is also a commercial "Feather Fixer" food that is made by Manna Pro you can find it at Tractor Supply, your local feed store or online. I haven't tried this one, but some people say it works well.
I'm sure others will have great ideas as well.
@beb444 made a good suggestion, to put aprons or saddles on them, this will help protect the new growth coming in.

How many hens to rooster do you have?
I have 3 roosters and 15 hens, thank you will look at my tractor supply here :)

I have 3 roosters and 15 hens, thank you will look at my tractor supply here :)
Are all 3 roosters with the hens?
IMO This may be part of your problem. Too many roosters to hens can cause stress and of course the feather loss/treading that you are seeing.
General guideline is 1 roo per 8-10 hens. If possible you may want to separate all the roos for a period of time, give your girls a rest and then decide which roo to let back in with the girls, or come up with a another solution. We all do things differently.

Back
Top Bottom