Whats wrong?!

Hello,
I'm new to this and sorry to here about your chickens. I too have just been giving my duck oral antibiotics following a fox attack, and was interested to see that you wont be eating your chicken eggs following their course of antibiotics. My duck was on antibiotics for just under 1 week, finishing her course about 2 weeks ago and yesterday laid her first nest of eggs. Do you think that the antibiotics would be out of her system by now and the eggs would be safe to eat? Best wishes with your pets!

Hello,
I'm new to this and sorry to here about your chickens. I too have just been giving my duck oral antibiotics following a fox attack, and was interested to see that you wont be eating your chicken eggs following their course of antibiotics. My duck was on antibiotics for just under 1 week, finishing her course about 2 weeks ago and yesterday laid her first nest of eggs. Do you think that the antibiotics would be out of her system by now and the eggs would be safe to eat? Best wishes with your pets!
From what i have read, and i am still new at this. Is you have to wait a minimum of 10 days after you stop the antibiotics. But i could be wrong.

We have ate our eggs while they are antibiotics and have had no ill effects. I was worried at first , hubby wasent so after he ate them and never had a problem, now I even eat them when they are on their course of antibiotics and have not had any problems. Though it is ultimatley your choice, I just wanted to share my experience :) hope they are feeling better. :cd p.s. neosporion ointment ( not cream or pain releif just ointment generic is fine )n eye 2-3times a day, clean with warm washcloth or a q-tip and the eye should get better in a few days. We have been doing this with barn kittens for years and our chickens now too. :) good luck. My Speckles went from this
to this
within days of this treatment., the black stuff is fowl pox so that takes longer to heal. But she could not see out of either eye before they were swollen shut.

Last edited:
Update:

My chickens seem to be a bit better. Crackling breathing has stopped, but still the occasional sneeze and not laying OR crowing. Not a good sign, I'm assuming.

I guess my biggest question is antibiotic. I have stopped it for now, but do I start something new? Should I have stopped it? I know what they say about them always being contagious, I get that, but will these birds ever get better? Help :)

Back
Top Bottom