What's your chick brooder look like?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BellsCluckers, Mar 10, 2018.

1. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chirping

Apr 21, 2015
    I'm getting ready to make my brooder for my chicks coming in April. I'm curious to see what diy brooders everyone has that have been cheap, reliable, and safe for the little ones. Would love to see pictures for ideas for my own. Thank you!

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
  3. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chirping

Apr 21, 2015
    There's an error with the link, clicked on it and that's what it says.

4. lcwmt

lcwmt Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    N Central MT
    We used a zippered dog pen last year. It was left over from when we had a dog recovering from surgery. She needed to be contained but also part of the household for 6 weeks.
    Plastic, then cardboard on the (wood) floor were placed underneath, pine shavings inside. Set the whole thing under my seed starting table in the dining room. The (7, early April) chicks were safe from the curious cat and dogs; we could monitor and be amused.
    The zippered top allows for easy access to food/water/clean up tasks as well and for handling. A seed starter mat was used for supplemental heat the first while.
    Chicks got big fast and needed more room at about 4 weeks. We got creative.

In late May, they went outside at 5 1/2 weeks and did fine. They seemed delighted to be on grass. Every year is different here. We watched the temps , esp overnight and acclimated them slowly.

https://www.amazon.com/ESK-Collecti...d=1520699485&sr=8-7&keywords=portable+dog+pen

Eventually I hope to have an outdoor brooder, but I will brood inside again this year - It's the best way to assure the exuberant Catahoula adopts the chicks as hers. Will use same set up this year but in the side room instead of the main part of the house. And for only 3 chicks. HAH good luck there, eh?

Meg-in-MT likes this.
  5. lcwmt

lcwmt Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    N Central MT
  6. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The link appears to work fine. You might check your browser if you use add-ons. Or use another device if you're using a phone.

aart likes this.
  7. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chirping

Apr 21, 2015
    Oh that looks so cool!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I brood my chicks in a grow out coop. They start with MHP in the loft area which is 4 x 8. by the time they are 3 weeks old, they are using the loft, and coming down into the lower 8 x 12 run area. It's very important to give chicks enough room. By the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old, they should have at least 2 s.f. per bird. IMO the worst thing you can do is brood them in the house in a rubbermaid tote with a heat lamp.

NNYchick, Meg-in-MT and Pensmaster like this.
  9. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chirping

Apr 21, 2015
    We are thinking about taking an old rabbit hut and making a small grow out pen with it.

Chelsa'sChicks and lcwmt like this.
  10. lcwmt

lcwmt Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    N Central MT
    Agreed. We did not and will not use a heat lamp indoors or out. Giving the chicks enough room last year was an ongoing engineering project until they could go outside.

BellsCluckers likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: