What's your favorite ethnic/regional style of food?

Quote:
And that's the great thing about America. It's all American cuisine.
wink.png

Well Thai is up there on my list as well as sushi. But I have to say, I went to a friend's wedding a week ago and he had it catered LEBONESE.

Wow! Was that good! I have no idea what i was eating, but it was fantastic. After living off of mac and cheese and fish sticks for the past 5 years (feeding my toddlers), I could not believe how good Lebonese was.

Oh, and there is a really good Ethiopian restaurant (can't remember the name) in DC. Haven't been there in years, but Ethiopian is surprisingly tasty as well!

Definitely Cuban food, well actually most Spanish or Carribean Island food.

My favorite dish is Ropa Vieja. I love it.

I have tried a lot of recipes and this one is my favorite:

Ingredients
2 1/2 lbs flank steaks, cut in 4 x 5 inch strips
all purpose adobo seasoning
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups finely diced onions
1 1/2 cups finely diced green peppers
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) can spanish style tomato sauce (such as Goya)
1 (6 ounce) jar sofrito sauce (such as Goya)
3 cups water
1 packet sazon goya with coriander and annatto (again, such as Goya)
1 packet beef bouillon (I used about 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)
1 ounce caper, rinsed
10 large green pimento-stuffed olives, sliced

Directions
- Season steak with Adobo.

- In large skillet, heat oil on medium high, brown meat on both sides, remove and keep warm.

- Lower heat to medium, add garlic, onion and green pepper, cook-stirring often for about 10 minutes.

- Stir in black pepper and tomato sauce and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes.

- Stir in the sofrito, water, sazon and bouillon and bring to a boil.

- Return the meat to the pan, cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring it occasionally.

- Add in the capers and olives, continue to simmer covered, until the meat is tender and shreds easily.

- This should take about 1-1/2 hours.

- You can add more water 1/4 cup at a time if the sauce gets too dry.

- To serve, shred the meat with 2 forks and mix back into sauce.

I cook it in a pressure cooker. I don't put olives in it. I serve it with white rice and seasoned black beans. My brother in law wanted it on soft, warm corn tortillas.

Edit: If you live near San Diego, California go to a small restaurant called Tropical Star. I ate there all the time when I lived in San Diego. All of their food is good. They also sell latin ingredients.
6163 Balboa Ave, San Diego, CA 92111 (next to IHOP) - Phone # 858) 874-STAR (7827)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom