What's Your First Piece of Advice for Newbies?

Don't think you can undertake good chicken-keeping on the cheap (no pun intended). Everything costs something these days. Do your homework: plan for expenses up front and assess your personal financial situation before buying those 'cute little chicks' on a whim, especially if your S.O. doesn't want chickens. If you're struggling with the decision to either provide nutritious feed for your chickens, or get your nails done (or buy another computer gadget) it's probably time to re-home your birds.
Flame suit on....

Basically read and ask questions before you bring in chickens or any other animal. It is scary to me how many intro posts come from people who just got chickens and obviously didn't educate themselves on what they were getting into. Their chickens suffer and/or die and it is entirely unnecessary.
This covers it all^^^^

Then build the coop before you buy the chickens.

Biosecurity! Chickens get diseases that can't be cured, and there aren't enough vaccines to cover everything, even if we want to follow the maximum vaccination plans.
It's possible to be very lucky, and never bring home a sick bird from outside, but don't count on it.
Loosing the entire flock to a disease that came in on just that one sick bird is terrible.
No bird comes back here, no bird comes in except chicks from safe hatcheries, and I'm just generally paranoid about it.
It's luck but especially good management and being careful.
Mary

Don't think you can undertake good chicken-keeping on the cheap (no pun intended). Everything costs something these days. Do your homework: plan for expenses up front and assess your personal financial situation before buying those 'cute little chicks' on a whim, especially if your S.O. doesn't want chickens. If you're struggling with the decision to either provide nutritious feed for your chickens, or get your nails done (or buy another computer gadget) it's probably time to re-home your birds.
Flame suit on....

I actually LOL-ed at your pun and everyone looked at me...

Flame suit on....
Who the heck would do that? Especially if so doesnt want them, is ghis meant to a specific person? Cause i dont think anyone i can think of would get their nails did over taking care of an animal

Back
Top Bottom