What's your flock name?

I don't have a flock name, per se, but I do have several coops, and I generally have names that refer to the groups in those.

A few examples:

The tiny coop with the two mature Cochin Bantams hens is home to the Little Jewels.

The three full-sized Cochin Bantams who live in another coop are the Twisted Sisters, a reference to early seasons of "Grey's Anatomy." These girls are nearly inseparable and make seriously unique sounds, a language all their own.

My original hen, a Buff Orp, and her three fluffy coop mates are The Ladies, and the new coop with my almost-four-month-olds houses The Fab Five.

I could go on, but then everyone would know that I have way too many coops -- and likely too many chickens, if that's even possible.
I don’t think you can have too many chickens….

I only have one so it doesn't need a name but my sister names many things that don't ordinarily get named. She had basement shelves named Tom, Dick, and Harry so she could easily tell her kids where to take something when sending them on that errand. When she worked in a commercial kitchen, she named the refrigerators Thelma and Louise for much the same reason. People are surprisingly likely to not know which was is north or to mix up left and right or such but nobody ever forgot which was Thelma. Even for people who were reliable about such things, it is much faster to say, "That is on Tom's top shelf" than "That is on the top shelf of the second set of shelves on the east wall."

I only have one so it doesn't need a name but my sister names many things that don't ordinarily get named. She had basement shelves named Tom, Dick, and Harry so she could easily tell her kids where to take something when sending them on that errand. When she worked in a commercial kitchen, she named the refrigerators Thelma and Louise for much the same reason. People are surprisingly likely to not know which was is north or to mix up left and right or such but nobody ever forgot which was Thelma. Even for people who were reliable about such things, it is much faster to say, "That is on Tom's top shelf" than "That is on the top shelf of the second set of shelves on the east wall."
I love that! It keeps things interesting! I didn't think about naming my coop, until I saw some others with names. It'd be cute to put a little sign on it with a name. If I can think of a good one!

My father named my first coop Excelsior Cocò:lol:. We're planning to move the chickens a build a big covered run with some coops and the chickens sorted by breed. I think I'll use this name in the new coop, too Then I'd like to make a sign made of wood with the name of the breed and colour for every group🥰

Our fridges are called the outside fridge and the inside fridge, one used to be in the utility (the outside fridge) and the other in the kitchen, they are now both next to each other in the kitchen. I start thinking of descriptions as names after a while like the toaster, the oven. It is was very confusing, when my brother moved in to a flat and he said something about the dishwasher, my brain went “but the dishwasher is at home!?”

my chickens are still chicks so no name yet, all chicks (including quail chicks) are called the peepers. My brother calls the adult quail ducks

Back
Top Bottom