Whats your opinion on this?

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
UPS delivered a package to our house today and about 10 minutes after he left we were bakcing out of the drive way and noticed that he wrote on the side of our mailbox in HUGE letters the numbers to our house "132". I have tried washing it off with soap and water and an All Purpose cleaner, but its not coming off. So..I called and complained. Hubby saw them(about 2 weeks ago) write in permant marker the 132 on the side of the post. We really didnt like that, but said okay fine. I work in a mail room so I know that they need to see the numbers to make sure its the correct house, so I didnt really mind when they did that. But when I have 6 inch high white letters on the side of my black mailbox, I have a problem with that. I mean we already have the huge black numbers on the front of our house so people can see and then they wrote it on the post in black marker. Why the need to do it all across the side of my mailbox?

When someone from the local UPS store called earlier he sounded as if it wasnt that big of a deal, but since I had filed the complaint that the "Main Boss" will have to be notified and call me to work something out. To see if it needs to be replaced or what. I never thought about that part of it, I just did not like the fact that they wrote all over my mailbox. Should they replace it? Its a fairly new one, only been up a year and cost us $60. Its one of the larger ones, cause I get a lot of small book packages and I wanted to make sure they woulf fit.

Am I overreacting? When hubby and I saw it we both were pretty ticked off.
somad.gif
And hes normally not one to get upset over things. Hes one of those "Oh its okay, dont worry about it. Dont let it bother you." types. What do you think?

I think i would be...hmmm...not so thrilled. How about a note with your mail...Saying "Howdy, I have a hard time reading the numbers to your house, would it be possible to label the mailbox a little more clearly?"

Then you guys could have decided what/how you wanted to proceed.

I don't think you're over reacting if your house is properly marked. Obviously the USPS doesn't have a problem with your mailbox because they will pitch a fit if its not in compliance.

I don't think they should have marked your mailbox or your post.

Laurie

ok, you have every right to be ticked off about this! Mailboxes are technically government property, so the UPS guy had no right to do that... especially since your address is already clearly marked. The way I see it, UPS owes you a new mailbox & post! (plus an apology!)

Well for the postal mail, we do have two different places with the number on it. When you open the mail box its written on the inside. So when the driver pulls up and opens the mailbox its written in bright orange letters for them to see. They did this, not us and I dont mind. Its the inside of my mailbox and it really helps them when they deliver the mail. Then its in 5 inch letters on the front porch. The posts are blue and we painted the numbers black so they really stood out. I asked DH if the UPS driver said anything to him about not being about to see the numbers on the house and he said no. He was friendly, had him sign for the package and said have a nice day.

Somebody, not sure who, also wrote on our post in huge, ugly black letters ... even though the box is clearly marked. We thought maybe the neighborhood kids, though could not for the life of us figure out why. Not your typical vandalism. I had no idea that UPS or USPS would do such a thing!

Oh, as for my opinion, lol. Mail boxes may technically be government property ... by we have to buy them and often choose one we like so as not to detract from the visual appeal of our property. We do not go out and buy ugly boxes and write our numbers on them in big ugly marker ... we buy neat looking boxes and typically use block letter stickers or something similar to mark them. Neat and clean. Writing on them in big, ugly lettering that looks like crude vandalism, especially without giving the property owner a chance to better mark it if that is what they desire, is, in my opinion, wrong and unfair. Of course, my mother spent years trying to drill the unfairness of life into my head so I guess fairness does not factor in.

Hopefully they will replace your box and refrain from vandalizing it in the future.

I couldnt find a ruler to show the size, but we have one of those huge mailboxes. Not the much smaller standard size ones. This is the picture I took a little bit ago. The larger white numbers are about 6 inches tall and the smaller black ones on the post are about 2 1/2 inchs tall.

7792_mailbox.jpg

Are we sure that mail boxes are Govt property? If so , why don't they buy them and install them? That would TICK ME OFF if my mail person did that.

Back
Top Bottom