What's your Southern Sign?

Drinking condensed milk straight up?.........................................................is there any other way?

When I was a kid, my poppy would use the condensed milk in his coffee, well I would sneak and eat it with a spoon, yum. I would get in trouble for it and still when I saw a new can out came the spoon. I think my granddad expected it.

I'm a Collard, coupled up with a Possum.

Drinking condensed milk straight up?.........................................................is there any other way?

When my daughter was a toddler any time we went out to eat she would grab the little creamer pacs and bite them open and drink them. She would do this until they were all gone, or someone stopped her.

southern style cornbread,unlike Yankee corn cake,is not sweet,has very little wheat flour in it;if at all,and goes stale rapidly-definitely stale the next morning. Since the recipe I have learnt uses buttermilk to begin with,it only made sense to use cornbread crumbles,over buttermilk,the following day,as a breakfast meal,usually during the winter,when you traditionally had corn meal. In the old days,cornmeal wasn't kept after winter since warm weather brought on bugs,especially the ones that got into meals and flours. I wonder what they did in those days before refrigeration,in the good ole Deep South?

As for boiled peanuts being only a S.C. tradition...I'll have to wrassle y'all on dat'un! Northern Florida grows so many peanuts that the USDA lists them as the #5 top crop of our state. And don't forget,this country is still suffering the effects of one Peanut farmer that spent 4 years in the White House;30 years ago...and his band of thugs were from Georgia! All Y'all can come over for a jaw and I'll even put all y'all up for ONE NIGHT and I'll have a bushel each of spicy boilt peanuts,Gulf shrimps and Apalachicola oysters. Y'all bring beer and other alcohol since I don't imbibe of those victuals;I won't hold it agin ya! Poo n' Heck! Drunks are fun stuff to mess with at parties and picnics!

All y'all take care!

As for boiled peanuts being only a S.C. tradition...I'll have to wrassle y'all on dat'un

I know that they are grown elsewhere, I know that Georgia is the peanute capitol, but SC does grow their share. Anywho we like them down south.

Last edited:
Peanuts are one of the main crops grown in the Hill Country of Central Texas. I know they grow pretty good in my yard too, since the chickens kind of spread around our "experiment" last year. We got a nice unexpected crop of peanuts out of our old strawberry bed this fall. I'm just wondering where I'm going to find them growing in the yard this spring.
roll.png

I'm an armadillo...and that description pretty much nailed it.

my gf is a GRIT but shes really more of a possum...she deals with stress by curling up in bed and sleeping....occasionally i have to make sure shes still breathing
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom