Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

we have really open up a box or ms talking about ebayand so many other places it's not that I don't trust other people I just know what my bird have and I don't know what other people house or their breeding programs I'm just learning but if I was to make 1 suggestion on breeding programs do siblings to sibling rmatings because sometimes it's the only way to find recessive faults I don't know anything about carnation combs but my guess is is it's a recessive fault it takes 2 copies 1 from the mail and 1 from the female like yellow legs in many people selling on ebay probably don't do sibling made in .. but I could be way off base on this I'm just a newbie

yes debbi, thats it, wing gap, needless to say when i caught the little fellars and pulled the wings out, was not happy abit, right now theres chicks for sale on rarebreeds auction from the same person, was thinking about buying but now, no way. my blue wheaten hen came from greenfire and they aren't selling anymore at the time, otherwise would go back there. guess i will see how they do when mature.

Sharron,

Don't feel alone, I got taken with a bunch of culls from my first ebay purchase too! My fault, as I had not yet done enough homework, but live and learn! What you are describing in their wings sounds like "Split Wings"?? If you fan out the wing, there is an obvious gap, ie missing feather or feathers. These threads are invaluable for learning tools, that is why we are all here! Thank goodness for folks like Don!!

we have really open up a box or ms talking about ebayand so many other places it's not that I don't trust other people I just know what my bird have and I don't know what other people house or their breeding programs I'm just learning but if I was to make 1 suggestion on breeding programs do siblings to sibling rmatings because sometimes it's the only way to find recessive faults I don't know anything about carnation combs but my guess is is it's a recessive fault it takes 2 copies 1 from the mail and 1 from the female like yellow legs in many people selling on ebay probably don't do sibling made in .. but I could be way off base on this I'm just a newbie
Yes, you are right. It takes two genes for the Carnation to express (show) itself. I feel now, if you buy eggs or chicks, and one displays a Carnation comb, you should consider the whole lot of them as "carriers". Test mate with a roo or hen that has never thrown a comb like that, it's the only way to know if your existing roo or hen are also carriers! In an ideal world, as in if I had a larger operation, money, time, and space; I would've just culled them all. As it is right now, I am setting up 3 pens, one hen in each, and using one roo on all three. Two hens I am assuming ARE a carriers. The other hen is a sister to the roo. Should be interesting!

don I was wondering if we could change the conversation too slow growing wheaton marans. I did some test mateings about 8 or 9months ago and I got a male and female they grew a half the rate of normal.they are filling out fine now but i thought i had bantems. i had a hen and roo do that
and my predictions were right the hen lays a really nice dark dark egg. she's been lying about a month now nba colors holding good.is slow growing something you would cull for ? the hen and roo i am refering to are finaly ketching up to the outhers. i guessed if she was slow to fill in she would be slow in her paint booth . what do you think about slow growers.?

Last edited:
don I was wondering if we could change the conversation too slow growing wheaton marans. I did some test mateings about 8 or 9months ago and I got a male and female they grew a half the rate of normal.they are filling out fine now but i thought i had bantems. i had a hen and roo do that
and my predictions were right the hen lays a really nice dark dark egg. she's been lying about a month now nba colors holding good.is slow growing something you would cull for ? the hen and roo i am refering to are finaly ketching up to the outhers. i guessed if she was slow to fill in she would be slow in her paint booth . what do you think about slow growers.?

randy, I do not see a problem as long as they reach the proper size, To be honest this is one of the things we have to be on the look out when inbreeding real close. What we have to worry about keeping the size where it should.

I am all for anyone asking anything related with wheaten now that we have a few people checking the thread. I saw RON pressley even on the thread couple of days ago. I was hoping he might visit with us occasionally. Don

I have a question about the undercolor in the males. what is consider a light slate? I don't know if this is a good photo to show enough of his undercolor, but from what you can see is his undercolor light?
LL

Last edited:
I have a question about the undercolor in the males. what is consider a light slate? I don't know if this is a good photo to show enough of his undercolor, but from what you can see is his undercolor light?
LL

From what I can see would say that is light slate. How is the color on the male ate the base of the tail where the tail coverts come from any white ?

Looks like a nice male

I can't tell what the under color is from the picture ...or color of tail coverts he is courtering away in the picture. a picture taken from 3 or 4 foot off the ground shooting down at the roo would help me rather than a picture taken a few inches off the ground (or lowrer than subject) but thank u for sharing .perhaps outhers here can see netter. also if possable pull his wing open to expose wing feathers would help

I've never really checked for the most part the fluff at the base of his tail is covered. I don't have any pictures of the base of his tail. I will try to get some pictures this weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom