Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Jay, yes that is what I am saying. I would never breed the Male with the white in wing. The only way to get rid of the white is cull and use breeders with darker undercolor.

Ya I won't be breeding him anytime soon, he's been gone for awhile lol. He's the only one I've had with light undercolor and the white feathers.

What color do you consider this Don? I want to make sure we're on the same page about the undercolor lol.

Glad to see some action on this thread! I am new to Marans and the wheaten color, I wonder if I can breed a Blue Wheaten to a Blue Copper.
If I had to guess your Blue Wheaten was probably developed out of Blue Coppers at some point. I don't know what your goal is in making the cross but I wouldn't recommend it. But with that being said they're your chickens and you can do as you please with them.
smile.png

I'm back . nice to see people interested in wheaten. Been getting a great hatch rate lately 12 out of 14 . added two in main flock
I'm still hatching as well. My wheaten hatch this year took a big hit when a critter decided they needed my grow outs more than I did. They spared me two wheaten pullets and two cockerels, a handfull of black and blue coppers and a couple cuckoos. Im slowed way down now since my ladies are shutting down on me. I have only one black copper and one wheaten laying now.

Back
Top Bottom