Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

I think with bought eggs, there are too many variables to blame the genetics on weak hatchability. The post that said that later they cannot tell which ones were late or weak hatchers shows that weak hatchers can thrive too.

With shipped or purchased eggs, maybe the weak hatchers are the older eggs, or ones that got a little more rough treatment and have less stable internal structure. The genes of the chick may be just as good or better than the strong hatchers.

So IMO if they are not your own eggs, I would help any chick that has already zipped all the way round and sits for more than a few hours. It's probably stuck.

Roger

Definitely i agree with that, shipped and home eggs are different.

A successful hatch on one new wheaten today! (morning of day 21)
Another (bottom left) zipped last night, but has't moved or done anything in about 8 hours. Should I assist after 12 hours have passed?

update:
It's 2 pm on day 21 and the zipped egg is still moving but hasn't fully hatched yet (commence nail biting).
However,
One egg almost literally exploded with no pipping or zipping that we could see to reveal chick # 2! Yup a whole other egg that showed no evidence of anything happening just decided to bust onto the scene beating out the partially hatched one for second. I didn't know they could do that.

You can still see the zipped egg over there on the left.

Last edited:
I don't find Marans any harder to hatch than other breeds. Maybe the hardest is trying to see through the dark shells to see which eggs are making and which eggs were duds so when it comes down to hatch time they don't all hatch only to reveal that the ones not hatched were clear or died very early in development. They are big chicks though and it takes them a little longer.

The unzipped egg did finally hatch without assistance. She looks kind of rough, but alive so far.
We transferred all three out to the broody hen and she had 2 chicks hatched on her own (leaving two unhatched outside). She accepted the chicks without any hassle and so far they are doing well. This makes a total of five baby wheaties.

Last edited:
The unzipped egg did finally hatch without assistance. She looks kind of rough, but alive so far.
We transferred all three out to the broody hen and she had 2 chicks hatched on her own (leaving two unhatched outside). She accepted the chicks without any hassle and so far they are doing well. This makes a total of five baby wheaties.

:) awesome !!!! i'm so glad she hatched.. maybe she could use some sugar water..

I just wanted to share - I did end up showing my pullet today at an APA show, and she did pretty well. I am thrilled since it was my first show and I know her feathers aren't in perfect condition. But she got BV and RB. It was a lot of fun - I can't wait til the fall show!

I have a newbie question. I hatched a mix of shipped Marans eggs and ended up with 2 blue pullets, 2 wheaten pullets, 1 wheaten cockerel, amd 1 cuckoo cockerel. If I were to keep the wheaten cockerel and cross him with the blue pullets, do I get blue wheaten? Or mutts?

Thanks for any information!

I just wanted to share - I did end up showing my pullet today at an APA show, and she did pretty well. I am thrilled since it was my first show and I know her feathers aren't in perfect condition. But she got BV and RB. It was a lot of fun - I can't wait til the fall show!

Very Nice! Congrats to you!

Nice job!

I have a newbie question. I hatched a mix of shipped Marans eggs and ended up with 2 blue pullets, 2 wheaten pullets, 1 wheaten cockerel, amd 1 cuckoo cockerel. If I were to keep the wheaten cockerel and cross him with the blue pullets, do I get blue wheaten? Or mutts?

Thanks for any information!
you would get wheaten and blue wheaten chicks

Back
Top Bottom