Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

I just wanted to share - I did end up showing my pullet today at an APA show, and she did pretty well. I am thrilled since it was my first show and I know her feathers aren't in perfect condition. But she got BV and RB. It was a lot of fun - I can't wait til the fall show!

Hey!! congratulations :D... you have entered a realm where only the fearless dare tread...

well done !

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Daloorashens! I'm really hoping the wheaten cockerel turns out to be a nice guy (I only have one). I'm thinking of replacing my current roo. He is an olive egger, great with people, not perfect with the hens.

Unfortunately, one of my two wheaten pullets has narcolepsy (or something like it). She is eating and growing along with the others, but if she stands still she falls asleep. 10 weeks old now, and she has done this from day 1. I don't think I'll be breeding that one!

So,   if the pullets were blue copper genetically but they are not expressing copper, would this lead to the same
result, i'm curious...

No.

Wheatens and Black- Blue Coppers are 2 different things. You would most definitely get some blue birds out of the cross but they would not be full Wheaten, nor would they be full Blue Copper and a person would be battling the some of the same issues that are already going on with the Marans with Wheatens and the BCM having been crossed in the past. It would take several generations to breed out any unwanted traits that were expressed by either variety and to make it pure Blue Wheaten.

Basically they would be pure Marans, but they would not be a specific variety.

No.

Wheatens and Black- Blue Coppers are 2 different things. You would most definitely get some blue birds out of the cross but they would not be full Wheaten, nor would they be full Blue Copper and a person would be battling the some of the same issues that are already going on with the Marans with Wheatens and the BCM having been crossed in the past. It would take several generations to breed out any unwanted traits that were expressed by either variety and to make it pure Blue Wheaten.

Ah.. OK that makes sense to me actually and not something i want to be doing.. thank you for the advice. i've been looking for a good reference text that addresses this kind of issue but i can only find brief articles that discuss it not an in depth book, do you know of any that i could find?

No.

Wheatens and Black- Blue Coppers are 2 different things. You would most definitely get some blue birds out of the cross but they would not be full Wheaten, nor would they be full Blue Copper and a person would be battling the some of the same issues that are already going on with the Marans with Wheatens and the BCM having been crossed in the past. It would take several generations to breed out any unwanted traits that were expressed by either variety and to make it pure Blue Wheaten, if the crossed genetics can ever be truly bred out, this I am uncertain on.
Edited to add; I hope someone comes by to correct me and help explain it better as I am not a Wheatens breeder and do not know them as I know the BCM, Blue Copper and Black Birchen

Ah.. OK that makes sense to me actually and not something i want to be doing..  thank you for the advice.    i've been looking for a good reference text that addresses this kind of issue but i can only find brief articles that discuss it not an in depth book,  do you know of any that i could find? 

There are many good site online to read about basic chicken color genetics and secondary color pattern genes and their effects. Just search for "basic chicken color genetics" and you will find tons of good stuff. :)

hoping for help confirming my suspicion. I got 2 wheaten marans chicks from a breeder (i believe greenfire lineage). I believe one is a roo but all the signs dont add up. I posted 2 pictures of him (top) and two of his sister (bottom). Was wondering what the situation is with the clay coloring too as I've read mention of it in the wheaten line.

If the time frame the breeder told me for hatching is right they are about 4 weeks old but could be a few days apart in age. I'm curious to know what you think.

hoping for help confirming my suspicion. I got 2 wheaten marans chicks from a breeder (i believe greenfire lineage). I believe one is a roo but all the signs dont add up. I posted 2 pictures of him (top) and two of his sister (bottom). Was wondering what the situation is with the clay coloring too as I've read mention of it in the wheaten line. If the time frame the breeder told me for hatching is right they are about 4 weeks old but could be a few days apart in age. I'm curious to know what you think.
I should mention before I say anything that I have very little experience! But your cockerel looks a lot like mine did at that age, as does the pullet. Is your suspicion that one of them is a different sex? Your cockerel does not have much of a comb yet, but mine didn't either. These are my first Marans and my cuckoo cockerel is a large bird with a big red comb (at 10 weeks), while my wheaten is quite a bit smaller and much less of a comb. I do not know if this is the norm, or just my experience.

Back
Top Bottom