Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

different breeds laye different colors
I've been confused also!
I bought eggs ameraucana
I got 2 chicks....the eggs were a mess when they got here so I'm fortunate
1 came from a blue egg...which the breeder did say she keeps pure
the other pinkish one she referred to as a black splash, that was the extra she put in, but also referred to it as an ameraucana
since it wasn't a blue egg I was confused.....

so after a lot of input and brain storming I'm calling the chick an EE...we'll see what she ends up laying

I can't go back and ask her....we got into it because of the horrid way she packed the expensive eggs!!

To me Americana in Easter Eggers are the same. they can lay pink green or blue eggs sometimes just white. I'm not trying to offend anyone but I think Easter Eggers are muts americanas meet the s.o.p.and aracona are the original breed that the blue egg came from their tail less and they also carry a deadly recessive genes that they die before their even bornI'm sure somebody will correct me you should talk to people on the other website chat roomI only work with Wheaton Marans

I have a question about wheaten marans. My chicks tail shapes vary .. Sometimes the feathers at the top or middle of the tail grow in shorter or slower. Does this lead to problems in the adult tail? Should I be culling chicks with this kind if tail?

Question:
How long does the molt season last on Wheatens?
A few of mine went into molt about 2 months ago and even though they're not shedding feathers anymore and most have grown back in, those ladies are still NOT laying! How long should I wait before I throw them in the deep fryer?

My hens take 8 months from chick to laying.they stop at molting just about mass they start laying again males go a year before culling. And I've never had white or light throt feathers
Thank you for your thoughts! Mine are just about 5 weeks so just getting feathered out still.

I think these light chest throat and face just at the comb feathers can affect adult color because I had a hen with some light color around her comb as an adult. Her coppery head color was just not saturated completely to the front of her head it was interrupted with lighter feathers just at her forehead. I sold her as a pet. Maybe in a few weeks all these males will be done with their odd light feathers as well. It's hard for me to decide if I should give them the full time to grow up and see what happens to those or not. I definitely don't like the fact that they were also more difficult to tell gender at 2 weeks. But they are very nice and big little Roos otherwise so far. The ones with good color and easy to tell gender at 2 weeks are smaller at this point.

My hens take 8 months from chick to laying.they stop at molting just about mass they start laying again males go a year before culling. And I've never had white or light throt feathers
Had a hen take 12 months to point of lay, however she turned out to be the darkest egg layer I have so well worth the wait.

I'm just wondering how long the molting season lasts with these birds. They started molting two months ago and I still have no eggs from them. They were laying before they started molting.

Back
Top Bottom