Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hi folks! Just checking in after a long absence from the forum. The chicks I hatched from eggs from the Fitzgeralds are doing pretty well. I had seven make it to pullet/cockerel stage before a raccoon tore through the wire and ate two of the cockerels. So now I'm down to three pullets and two cockerels. The pullets have not yet begun to lay and I don't expect they will 'til early spring. That supposed ice storm just resulted in a bunch of miserable rain for us, so the chickens are not too pleased. We've had so much that the ground is saturated and the water is sheeting off of my garden pathways and into the chicken runs. The chickens with feathered feet are doing a lot of perching and strategic eating so they don't lose their roost spaces. With any luck the rain will stop today and I can let them out into the yard tomorrow if no one is running dogs nearby. That's the one thing I hate about hunting season. It seems as though the people most intent on using dogs to hunt are the ones who don't have enough land of their own to run them, so the dogs come to our place to terrorize everything that moves!
I HATE losing birds to predators, sorry for your loss :( I have two roos and two pullets from Fitzgeralds. They are around 6 months old and no eggs yet. I'm in the Panhandle of FL with the days being around 70 degrees so I'm hoping that will help them to start laying earlier than normal but I'm not holding my breath.

I HATE losing birds to predators, sorry for your loss :( I have two roos and two pullets from Fitzgeralds. They are around 6 months old and no eggs yet. I'm in the Panhandle of FL with the days being around 70 degrees so I'm hoping that will help them to start laying earlier than normal but I'm not holding my breath.
thanks for the weather report, headed down to defuniak springs tomorrow, was hoping for some warm weather since its so blame cold here in pa right now.
big_smile.png
going to miss my chickens

Well, even though laying is slow this time of year, some of my chicks that I hatched out in May are laying now. I am pleased with the results! These new hens are from a Bev Davis dam and sired by a Cottage Hill.
Here is what I'm getting:

The egg on the far right is from one of my Red Stars for a bit of comparison.

Here's the new layers as they were back in May with their adopted mom: (as always - more males than females on that hatch)

wheaten Roo snuck over to silkiee side check out wing triangle

wing Triangle are found on eb/eb based rooster(Partridge Silkies) and eWh/eWh Wheaten roosters also have a wing triangle, now the cross of both eWh/eb will also show a wing triangle, now his wing triangle is white because he has the Silver gene from the partridge side..

Well, even though laying is slow this time of year, some of my chicks that I hatched out in May are laying now. I am pleased with the results! These new hens are from a Bev Davis dam and sired by a Cottage Hill.
Here is what I'm getting:

The egg on the far right is from one of my Red Stars for a bit of comparison.

Here's the new layers as they were back in May with their adopted mom: (as always - more males than females on that hatch)
those are some beautiful dark eggs! What egg is on the very right? Are all of these Wheaten or Blue Wheaten eggs?

Back
Top Bottom