Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

those are some beautiful dark eggs! What egg is on the very right? Are all of these Wheaten or Blue Wheaten eggs?

All of them are Wheaten eggs except the one on the far right which is from a Red Star production hen.

Very nice. How many do u have ?

I have kept only Five pullets from my spring hatches. Only Two of them are laying right now. And those two aren't laying very often.

wheaten Roo snuck over to silkiee side check out wing triangle

Very nice of you to give them chairs to sit on!!!!!!!! :lau

Happy New Year, everyone! One of my wheaten hens has begun to lay again. Her eggs are probably only a 4 but she's matured nicely and has a tidy comb. I've put my two Fitzgerald cockerels in that pen (there are some EEs and Jersey Giants & JG mixes in that pen, so it will be easy to pick the Marans eggs from the line-up) so that in a few weeks I can start saving a few eggs to hatch. They might need a little time to "learn the ropes" since they've just been hanging out in the cockerel pen 'til now. My goal with that breeding will be to produce a few pullets with good color and conformation that will hopefully lay darker eggs than their mother and can be back-crossed to the Fitz. cocks in time. The three Fitzgerald pullets still haven't started yet but I'm looking forward to the day when they will.

I am considering selling my small wheaten marans flock, I just need more space and time to focus on the black coppers and unfortunately someone has to go :(. If anyone is interested pm Me. There are 4 hens, 1 roo and some eggs in the incubator.

Well, on the coldest day in 15 years someone gave me a present bright and early today! Over the weekend I got a heavily spotted egg and it looks like she's worked out her paintbrush this time. The egg from the Fitzgerald pullet is as big as the egg from my Marans hen and it's much darker even though the hen just started back up laying. Promising. The whitish fuzz on the egg is from the shredded newspaper I use in the coops as bedding and nesting materials.

Back
Top Bottom