Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

As they go through the laying cycle the eggs do lighten, but I should think that after the moulting and short-daylight break the eggs would return to the dark end of the spectrum. My older hen has just never laid a particularly dark egg.

I hope that's the case, but some variation in shade is fine with me too. I noticed on Fitzgerald's website they mention that the same hens that were laying 9 started laying 7 to 9 and I had read on another thread that hens lay lighter as they age so thought that was interesting but not a bad thing if true.

My hens very first eggs were not very dark and were speckled but they quickly darkened up, then later in the laying cycle they lightened a little again with a smoother color and stayed pretty much the same after so far.

Has there been discussion of how diet might change egg color? I was thinking diet could not possibly be a factor until someone on another thread mentioned a study about diet and egg color. It could be my imagination but my marans love greens and the more they get to forage it seems like the darker they lay.

The beginning of the egg cycle, the eggs will be at the darkest and towards the end, they will be lighter. But as the hens age, the eggs do not get darker. I have a three yr old Blue Marans hen that lays super dark eggs.

I add greens to help with the color. I have been told that a rich diet and one that has carotene will help. I honestly do not know if this is true but I supply my hens with a rich diet to help keep them healthy

The beginning of the egg cycle, the eggs will be at the darkest and towards the end, they will be lighter. But as the hens age, the eggs do not get darker. I have a three yr old Blue Marans hen that lays super dark eggs.

I add greens to help with the color. I have been told that a rich diet and one that has carotene will help. I honestly do not know if this is true but I supply my hens with a rich diet to help keep them healthy

mine go darker right after they start laying again after molting and then gradually get light again.. but they never go out of the range that they started in,

I'm getting some really dark color right now. I hate to eat them! My incubator is full with 10 more days to go. I guess i could start storing them for my next hatch.
The ones in the incubator at this time will be my first hatch from my selective breeding (chicks hatched out last spring).

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone here sells or knows of someone willing to ship hatching eggs? Dark dark eggs are what we're looking for, coming from a healthy flock. A small order since its winter or whatever anyone is willing to give up!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
I got some wheaten eggs off ebay....they were nice and dark...the seller has a dozen listed now.....I had good hatch rate.....the pixs of the eggs they have is not good but the eggs were dark.....fat, healthy chicks that hatched as well.......

Anyone who claims they are getting 8s or 9s from a wheaten marans in the US is not likely using the French standard. It is also unlikely to consistently get a 7.

I have hatched hundreds if not thousands of Marans over the years from many different breeders and many different lines. Although I consistently get 5s and an unusual 6, wheaten generally don't produce 7s to 9s anywhere, let alone the US.

For reference, a 9 is the color of a dark chocolate bar. Directly from the French standard (translated to English):

http://www.marans.eu/loeuf.htm#loeuf

Level 4 - The extra red egg of MARANS but still insufficiently level, especially varieties NCC, ACS, BCC, BCA ... Note: the background color is not better than the egg # 3, but the amount of pigment is more important, its distribution has been uneven in spots, which provides a minimum factor and related to said extra red egg. genetic capacity A minimum brightness will always be the highlight. Experience: A minimum of 4 egg, when laid on a background of natural terracotta red, should come off in a tone a little darker on the bottom of the red shade "terracotta". Note : While it is generally and from the origins of the breed recognized that the level 4 is the bare minimum to allow the label "Marans" - this is especially true for some few and selected varieties - the minimum desired level is 5 6 or satin gloss, especially in the Black variety camail copper. Level 6 or 7 is perfectly compatible with the selection of an almost ideal phenotype described in the official standard of the breed. This is a sought after and recommended for all farmers by the MCF goal. A one-way selection and priority by the egg, makes selection difficult at the phenotype. The reverse is also true. There is nothing inconsistent in theory. 's egg laying insufficient color does not justify the label "Marans". Similarly, subjects ultra dark eggs 7, 8 or 9, but which type is far from breed standard are not more of Marans. True Marans is a standard racial respected TYPE + very dark EGG.

Levels 5-9 - extra reddish-brown egg pulling chocolate . Note the more rounded, globular, typical of the Marans egg, brightness is always an additional quality. Stem laying eggs 7, 8 and 9 have unfortunately often experienced a lack of selection in favor of the standard: light or narrow types squirrel tails, feathers and impure colors etc ... The selection requires a very important work and time-consuming in the Marans since it must reconcile as much a type and a specific standard and the requirement of a typical extra-red color of the race, if possible, the minimum level 5.

Levels 8 and 9 - Exceptional Eggs whose color is similar to the pure pigment. Admittedly, once again the most beautiful eggs are obtained at the beginning of spawning. It is normal pigments shells fade in full spawning, stabilizing at around 6 and 7 for the best. A good strain has a high proportion of eggs level 5-7 to maintain constant state by a careful selection year after year. The qualities of a laying should be assessed in the color eggs start laying eggs after the first 20 and the regularity of this color during most of the season.

Back
Top Bottom