Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

I'm looking for a breeder who has a line of Wheaten Marans without feathered legs.

Anyone out their breeding to the English standard?

Or does your line sometimes just throw clean shanked birds? Feel free to PM me if it's not something you'd like to discuss publicly.

I'm planning on using Marans to introduce the Wheaten genes into my line of Orpingtons this year, with a line of Wheaten Orpingtons as my end goal.

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but things are slow here so I thought I'd share this.
One of my Wheatens went broody in December, so I placed some eggs from my Red Star hens under her. The pen the Reds are in is where I keep my spare Wheaten Roo. I have no idea what the result will end up like, although I have read that a RIR (which red stars share 1/2 linage) covered by a Marans male results in a Blue Belle or Blue Ranger. That would be cool. Really though, I have no idea.

Tomorrow (Jan 16th) they will be one week old.

Instead of boogering up this thread with something that wasn't entirely on topic, I decided to continue the information on this experiment elsewhere. I posted my own thread where I hope to keep up with the results here .
If you guys have any input to give, I would sure appreciate it!
-Thanks!

Okay, test eggs should hatch over the weekend! I had hoped to be able to set more soon but unfortunately the door to my run got unlocked and some EEs got into the pen where my Wheatens are. Sigh. Now I'll have to wait at least 3 weeks for things to "clear up" before I can collect eggs that have a reasonable chance of being full Wheatens.

Okay, test eggs should hatch over the weekend! I had hoped to be able to set more soon but unfortunately the door to my run got unlocked and some EEs got into the pen where my Wheatens are. Sigh. Now I'll have to wait at least 3 weeks for things to "clear up" before I can collect eggs that have a reasonable chance of being full Wheatens.
3 steps forward, two steps back huh?

And the results are in: 3 of the 4 hatched. I opened the dud and found it must have quit right at about the time I turned off the autoturn cradle on the incubator. The three that hatched are hale and hearty, so I'm content with that. I'd definitely like to get that hen cleared to set more eggs because it would be my luck that all three would be cockerels when I'm trying to get more hens. I can't tell the genders now but once the wing feathers come in I can get an idea of how many more attempts I'll need to take at incubating to reach a modest goal of 2 pullets out of the pairing.

I'm thinking I've got two cockerels and one pullet. That or three cockerels! Two are definitely boys. In another week the wing feathers should make it really obvious and then I can say for sure.

Looking for cottage hill line wheaten Marans lost my hens during a move I'm driving to floridly from ks, does anyone have any for sale along my drive? Or could ship

Has anybody been hatching this spring I've only have gotten 11 chicks out of my own eggs ( set two dozen) I think the weather has effected fertility, and now they quit laying and are molting. I hope they molt pretty quick I would like to get more chicks hatched.

Here is a photo of one of the chicks.

I also have 1 dozen Blue Wheaten eggs and 1 dozen Wheaten eggs in the incubator from Marans Unlimited.

Back
Top Bottom