Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
Yeah Jeremy!!
celebrate.gif
Can't wait to see those fuzzy butts grow up! Hey, I think your Corgi has your smile!
gig.gif

Debi, LOL, Toby is a total ham. He's probably the happiest and most friendly puppy I've ever had. We do both smile a lot.
tongue.png

I cannot wait for my BW eggs, I'm going to be crossing my fingers for good hatch rates, I really really love this variety. The eggs are only coming from Washington state so I have high hopes as I'm only in Northern, CA. USPS better handle them with care!

I hope to end up with a BW or possibly Splash Wheaten cockerel to head my flock.

Quote:
woot.gif
Jeremy! Hoping they all arrive safe and sound and that you have an AWESOME hatch!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

cherylcohen just received 15 eggs from me about a half hour or so ago and they all arrived safe. I shipped them yesterday from SW Washington State around 12noon, they went fedex per cheryl's request, man that was fast.

smile.png

Last edited:
hatching season has started ,,, 2 were out of egg when i got off work got a few more piping , i can post some wheaten pics of chicks but im sure many have seen it b4, me to lol just as soon as i can sex them (3 days or 4 ) i need to cull the roo or rehome

Quote:
I did notice the feathered shanks on mine Don but being new to them didn't know if it was just the line they came from or the variety itself. I am getting 2 new pullets this week end at the poultry show so I will check them out also.

Quote:
woot.gif
Jeremy! Hoping they all arrive safe and sound and that you have an AWESOME hatch!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

cherylcohen just received 15 eggs from me about a half hour or so ago and they all arrived safe. I shipped them yesterday from SW Washington State around 12noon, they went fedex per cheryl's request, man that was fast.

smile.png

Good Morning Kim,
I know I am way down your list of egg orders but I was wondering since Cheryl & I live so close to each other (1 & 1/2 drive) how much was it to ship her eggs that came so fast. I can't help thinking the less time they are out there traveling the better off they will be.

Wheaten breeders does anyone else notice that using a wheaten female on the dark side will improve the color on the wheaten male. I believe we have to keep and breed some of these darker females into our wheaten line fowl to keep the balance in color that is wanted in the show cages. I would not breed any of the white feather males if I could find any without. I try and keep a ledger on the different faults and what I think cause them in the Wheaten. I would like to hear of anything that anyone else has observed with the wheaten. Don

Quote:
By improving the male, what improvements are we talking here? White fluff? Orange color? Chest color?

Personally I want to work on my male's chest coloration before his white fluff, but, I'm talking Blue Wheaten, not Wheaten, which tend to always have chest coloration problems as of now.

Quote:
By improving the male, what improvements are we talking here? White fluff? Orange color? Chest color?

Personally I want to work on my male's chest coloration before his white fluff, but, I'm talking Blue Wheaten, not Wheaten, which tend to always have chest coloration problems as of now.

Yes, the white fluff and the orange color. I have never had any Blue wheaten. Might be worth checking with some of the oldtimer Old english breeders as I have seen some really nice blue wheaten old english at the shows. Don

Just wondering if the Wheatens lay the darkest egg out of all Marans? I have heard that the Blues and Coppers do but also read that the Wheatens do. Is this true or does it depend on breeding and what strain you get?? Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom