Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
Quote:
I'm planning to go even if I don't have something good enough to show. It will be a great learning experience.

I would love to see pics of correct Wheaten Marans color. In the beginning I spent a lot of time trying to learn about the correct conformation and set color aside. Does anyone have pics of correct color they can share?

Thanks!

Randy,

He's Gorgeous. Keep us posted on fertility, when you know.

Quote:
I guess you could look at it like you and your sisters Wheatons are famous..... World Wide!
lol.png

Quote:
Randy,

He's Gorgeous. Keep us posted on fertility, when you know.

The white fluff in the tail area is usually because of insuffecient tail covert feathers or a tail that is too high. If the tail coverts are correct you would never see the fluff....no matter what color it was. White in the wing tips can be genetics, feed, stress and very possibly hormonal as you say Randy.

Walt

Quote:

The white fluff in the tail area is usually because of insuffecient tail covert feathers or a tail that is too high. If the tail coverts are correct you would never see the fluff....no matter what color it was. White in the wing tips can be genetics, feed, stress and very possibly hormonal as you say Randy.

Walt

Walt, From examining all the Wheaten Males I have culled, it is the actual tail covert that the bottom part is white fluff, and I still believe it is all related to genetics, I say quit using the white fluff on the coverts and get rid of the white, or keep breeding these males and live with the white in the laying flock. Don

Quote:

Walt

Walt, From examining all the Wheaten Males I have culled, it is the actual tail covert that the bottom part is white fluff, and I still believe it is all related to genetics, I say quit using the white fluff on the coverts and get rid of the white, or keep breeding these males and live with the white in the laying flock. Don

If it is the tail coverts themselves that are white at the base, you do have a problem and that is genetic. Is anyone getting slate undercolor?

Walt

Quote:

If it is the tail coverts themselves that are white at the base, you do have a problem and that is genetic. Is anyone getting slate undercolor?

Walt

Walt, I am trying to go with a darker slate undercolor for the males and see if this might help. Will have some chicks in a couple of weeks . I have 12 very nice females I am using at present. I could only keep one Wheatem male as all of the others were culls. The male I am using came from another flock and shows no white in the Coverts, only time will tell. This is something that should be looked at real hard when the proposed standard is submitted. I believe it will be very hard to bred a male that will be acceptable to any kind of standard. Good thing I like eating chicken. Don

I'm so happy I found a thread on Wheaten Marans! This is a question that may have been asked already, but going through the 88 pages is a little daunting for the time being :)...
Is it ok to combine the genetics of the wheaten and blue wheatens? What I mean is, would it be desirable/undesirable to run wheatens and blue wheatens together to produce quality chicks?
I think I prefer the wheaten hens and blue wheaten roos as far as colors.. I had a couple of gorgeous wheaten hens a couple years ago.. They came out of a black copper line.. Wish I still had them!
Does anyone sell chicks? I would like to get some in the next couple/few months or so..

Thanks!

Malinda
Northern Indiana

Back
Top Bottom