Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hey Don, when do you cull for split wing?

Also, I think I recall you mentioning that Wheatens did not seem to be such a challenge compared to the BC's, and may not require single or double breeding.
What faults have come up in the last 6 months (besides the fluff) that you are finding when you don't single mate?

Quote:
VC, I cull for split wing on all of my chickens soon as I see it in them. I have only ever had one Marans with split wing.

Soon as I can built my male numbers back up will go back to single mating all the Marans. Single mating cuts down on the amount of culls we have to deal with. It also pin points good and bad producers.

The wheaten in USA are terrible for white in wing and tail, more so than even the BC. Don

Quote:
Are you finding this in the hens as well? Do you find that the darker hens with darker underfluff help eliminate the white?

From what I have done already I say that the under color and the darker wheaten female seems to help with the white.

The wheaten are about like the BC when it comes to the female, no white on the wing or tail.

Iwill no more after this upcoming hatch. The only male I kept has darker under color and no Tail Covert white, we shall see. Don

I'm setting 96 eggs on Friday, and no Wheaten Marans! Shoot. And I even have three dozen of this bunch coming from Nancy (bargain). Guess I'll have to wait till my next hatch, which I plan to set around May 6th.

Hello all! I have a Wheaten chick that is two weeks old and doesn't seem to be growing or really feathering much. It eats and drinks plenty but just seems really slow to progress. I have it in with some Blue and Black Coppers the same age and there is a huge difference in them compared to it. Do Wheatens grow and feather slower???

Back
Top Bottom