Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hey Marans People!!

I am hoping to get some Wheaten Marans eggs next week. I remember reading some where that Marans eggs can be difficult to hatch, due to the porous texture?? I have hatched my own cuckoo marans eggs with no problems....but they aren't really dark. Is there much of a difference?? Anything special I should know??

You all have some beautiful birds on this thread. Hoping to join you soon!!

Quote:
some times they are very hard to hatch i usually go 45 percent humidity till lock down than 62 percent and yes wheaten marans are hard for some reason . i think its mostly fertility of roos .. just rest the eggs for a day whan you get them . id sudgest not candeling them every two seconds but thats just me... there is a dry hatch method but iv never tried it..

Can anyone give me a critique of my blue wheaten boy? Be honest/brutal. Thanks.
IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg
He just finished fluffing he's not that broad chested
IMG_2005.jpg

Last edited:
He's a pretty boy. How old is he? The white tail feathers do not belong there, but is he due to molt? Looks like he could use some heavier shank feathering and filling out bodywise, but I like him!

Unwanted white in the tail feathers, too little feathering on shanks, way too sunken/refined of a breast, too close of width of leg spread. The broad chest is preferred so I guess that might be a fault too.

Otherwise he's got a great tail so far (but it looks mostly missing?) good color, good head and eye color, and a nice look over all but for the above faults.

He's okay but not bad. If I had him I'd improve the breast and tail color mainly. Do you have photos of him looking from top down (to see his general shape and width) ?

He's 5-5 1/2 months old. I was concerned about how much white he has too. His wings have quite a bit.
Here's a pic from September.
IMG_1983.jpg

Illia, I tried to get a top down shot but it didn't turn out to be good for shape or width. I think he's a bit thinner than he's supposed to be though.

Last edited:
Quote:
I wish I could go. It is really exciting to hear about it though. I really hope someone takes lots of pics to share with us!!! Got my fingers and toes crossed for the Wheatens!

Quote:
I wish I could go. It is really exciting to hear about it though. I really hope someone takes lots of pics to share with us!!! Got my fingers and toes crossed for the Wheatens!

i wish i could go i have a rooster id liked to enter il post a few pics later ... i love wheaten.. also a hen tjats looling good
just takes so long for breedimg them. from egg to egg is 7+ months. the cotton tail almost everyone has it.. in some amount

Back
Top Bottom