Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

That egg is gorgeous!! From the sounds of it my girls aren't laying right now hopefully they will soon start again. So I can make some final cull decisions because I know there are a few girls not laying as dark as I want them to.

Neither one of these guys looks like a Marans, or a Wheaten Marans. Do you have full body pics? What color are their legs? Any shank/toe feathering?? Both of these guys, especially the one on the right, have too much copper/red coloring, and yellow faces and beaks? More pics would be needed to tell any more, but in my humble opinion, they look like mixes.
idunno.gif

Hey Debi- Didn't see your response until just now. I will get some pictures tomorrow and see what you think. Yes, they have feathers down the sides of the legs and the outside toe. I don't remember what color their legs are. The females are feathering in darker than I had hoped they would.

I just went back and looked at the pics of parents from the breeder. The roos in the pics have bright red faces..... too weird. Could it be because they are so young?? Maybe turn red as they mature??

Last edited:
Hey Debi- Didn't see your response until just now. I will get some pictures tomorrow and see what you think. Yes, they have feathers down the sides of the legs and the outside toe. I don't remember what color their legs are. The females are feathering in darker than I had hoped they would.

I just went back and looked at the pics of parents from the breeder. The roos in the pics have bright red faces..... too weird. Could it be because they are so young?? Maybe turn red as they mature??

Well, I could be all wrong in my thinking, I don't have any Wheatens....yet. Post a bunch of pics, and maybe someone else will chime in on them. Yoooo-hoooo, Raaaaannnnnnddddyyyyy!!
frow.gif

I wish I could figure out how to post pictures but I don't know how
I'm trying to do this all from a smartphone I have a lot of pictures to post it don' no how

On a PC the new system is pretty easy....like attaching an e-mail. Click on the little pic, next to the film strip icon. Then find the pic on your hard drive and attach it.

On a smart phone?? no clue??

I do miss your pictures!!!

OK here's the deal on my juvies (12 or 13 weeks old). Sorry, no pics of them today. It is windy and overcast, they wouldn't hold still and 2 needy EE's kept jumping on my head... so I threw in the towel and will get some tomorrow. But, I did check them out closely. Faces of the cockerels are red. Legs and feet are pink/white. Plumage coloring is off, too much red. Leg feathering is nice and they hatched from beautiful dark eggs. I believe they are WM's, just not great quality.

Another poster on this thread- CuckooforMarans purchased eggs from the same breeder that I did and had similar results. If you go back, you can read the posts. CuckooforMarans was able to use a couple of the pullets and scored a nice Roo from Randy to start a breeding flock. If I wasn't so preoccupied with an Ameraucana project right now, I would be totally bummed. Guess when these little chooks grow up, I will enjoy the beautiful eggs and probably use them for an Olive Egger project with my Wheaten or maybe Blue Ams. In the mean time I can learn more about the breed. Hopefully one of you Marans experts here with the beautiful birds will sell some eggs ... late summer or early fall??
big_smile.png

Still gonna post pics, cuz I am pretty clueless and any info you can offer would help me learn.

Still gonna post pics, cuz I am pretty clueless and any info you can offer would help me learn.

Ok pics of my messed up WMs as promised. They hatched the Thursday before Thanksgiving...so 13 weeks or so old. Husband rushing me, so am not going to count weeks atm.

Ok if you need better pics, can see what else I took later. Husband wants to get to the range right now!!
barnie.gif

I went out and took a few pics of the few wheatens that I have....lousy pictures, but it is what it is. First pictures are of my rooster, he's not perfect, but he's all I have right now.

I will add it seems very difficult to find really good wheatens. I dont know why more people arent working on them, I like them so much better than the black coppers.

Anyway, also posted a few pics of a few hens I have, and the last picture is of a hen that is the wheaten marans crossed over a black copper hen that lays a really dark gorgeous egg. Im hatching some black chicks and a few wheatens from this cross. The wheatens are turning out this darker color of wheaten. I will cross them back to the wheaten rooster to try and lighten up the wheaten color.

Back
Top Bottom