Wheaten Crele Orpington Project, Reboot

Pics
All the birds in my project are slow to moderate to feather.
It's strange.

Oh, I thought you had a faster-than-fast feathering bird.

If it's just normal fast feathering, then it's probably been passed down from father to son, hidden by the dominant slow feathering gene.

(Because fast/slow feathering is on the sex chromosomes, so the females only have one copy but the males have two. So only a male can carry fast feathering without showing it.)

Oh, I thought you had a faster-than-fast feathering bird.

If it's just normal fast feathering, then it's probably been passed down from father to son, hidden by the dominant slow feathering gene.

(Because fast/slow feathering is on the sex chromosomes, so the females only have one copy but the males have two. So only a male can carry fast feathering without showing it.)
The one chick is super fast to feather.

So are you saying it's possibly a cockerel?

All my adult birds used are Slow to Moderate to feather.

The one chick is super fast to feather.

So are you saying it's possibly a cockerel?

All my adult birds used are Slow to Moderate to feather.

Fast feathering is more likely to be a female.

A female only has one gene for fast or slow feathering (because she only has one Z chromosome), so she either feathers fast or slow and that's it. Whatever she has, she got it from her father, she passes it on to her sons, and she cannot be carrying any other gene at that locus.

A male has two Z chromosomes, so he has two genes for feathering speed (one from each parent). He can be pure for slow feathering or fast feathering, or he can have one of each gene and grow his feathers slowly (because slow is dominant.)

So a male that grew his feathers slowly can produce daughters that feather slow like himself, or daughters that feather quickly if he carries the fast feathering gene and passes it on to them. How fast his sons grow their feathers will depend on both the gene he gives them, and the gene they get from their mother.

Fast feathering is more likely to be a female.

A female only has one gene for fast or slow feathering (because she only has one Z chromosome), so she either feathers fast or slow and that's it. Whatever she has, she got it from her father, she passes it on to her sons, and she cannot be carrying any other gene at that locus.

A male has two Z chromosomes, so he has two genes for feathering speed (one from each parent). He can be pure for slow feathering or fast feathering, or he can have one of each gene and grow his feathers slowly (because slow is dominant.)

So a male that grew his feathers slowly can produce daughters that feather slow like himself, or daughters that feather quickly if he carries the fast feathering gene and passes it on to them. How fast his sons grow their feathers will depend on both the gene he gives them, and the gene they get from their mother.
The way you said it before this kind of confused me.

Now I'm wondering who was the father. My Welsummer hasn't fathered any chicks due to a slight deformity caused by an undetected broken pelvis when he was younger.

The yellow chicks don't have barring, so it wasn't my Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock cockerel either. He took forever to feather out.

The only two possibilities are my Project Roosters, & figuring out who carries that gene is going to be a bit of a challenge.

The way you said it before this kind of confused me.
Oops. It's hard to remember who knows what, and how much explanation to put in. :oops:

The only two possibilities are my Project Roosters, & figuring out who carries that gene is going to be a bit of a challenge.

If you need to find out, put each rooster with a group of hens and hatch some eggs. Then check the feathering speed of the daughters. If any daughters are fast feathering, then their father carries fast feathering. If all daughters are slow feathering, they father is probably pure for slow feathering.

If the hens for the test are slow feathering, then all the sons will be slow feathering too. But if you use fast feathering hens for the test, and any sons feather quickly, that will also show that the rooster being tested has the fast feathering gene.

Oops. It's hard to remember who knows what, and how much explanation to put in. :oops:

If you need to find out, put each rooster with a group of hens and hatch some eggs. Then check the feathering speed of the daughters. If any daughters are fast feathering, then their father carries fast feathering. If all daughters are slow feathering, they father is probably pure for slow feathering.

If the hens for the test are slow feathering, then all the sons will be slow feathering too. But if you use fast feathering hens for the test, and any sons feather quickly, that will also show that the rooster being tested has the fast feathering gene.
It's okay.

I think I did figure out the father of the yellow chicks. Goober, he has a more Gamefowl type posture, & one of his daughter's has the posture too. I didn't get pictures of the chick in question, today. I was busy.

I'll still test them out next year though, thanks.

This chick reminds me a lot of my other chicks I've hatched.
Screenshot_20210519-073112_Chrome.jpg
My chicks
20200710_151944.jpg
0324191602.jpg
20200705_211356.jpg
0215191325a.jpg
20200607_140055.jpg

Back
Top Bottom