Wheels/axles for chicken tractors?

We did ours on lag bolts and cut the extra length off. I know for sure it doesn't weigh 400 pounds though. I was after a tractor I could walk into and now we have 3 of these.

twh.jpg

trac4.jpg

This is the back, the front has a full size people door.
trac5.jpg

We did ours on lag bolts and cut the extra length off. I know for sure it doesn't weigh 400 pounds though. I was after a tractor I could walk into and now we have 3 of these.
Well, that's a good way to keep the axle horizontal!!
But how does it roll on bumpy and/or soft ground?
Doesn't look like much clearance.

Well, that's a good way to keep the axle horizontal!!
But how does it roll on bumpy and/or soft ground?
Doesn't look like much clearance.

The first two we built roll great, with about an inch more of clearance. I had concerns over predator access, so the 3rd one we dropped a little lower. It's great on flat ground. Bumps made it a two person move. We ended up parking it and throwing panels up, to make a seasonal grow space for Turkeys. We tugged it through some pretty rough ground to get it into it's spot.

The fact that it has those wheels though, it can move anywhere on the property and we can shift the panels too, so once grass is gone we can move the whole set-up. It's not a tractor I'd feel like moving every day though.

turkpen3.jpg

The first two we built roll great, with about an inch more of clearance. I had concerns over predator access, so the 3rd one we dropped a little lower.
That's the kicker, eh?
Am thinking about how to make those axles easily removable, for higher clearance when moving and no clearance when in place for predator protection....maybe if that second bottom rail was outside the coop? Studs/uprights on sides could be flat on inside of frame....just some thoughts(I can't help it but look and see)

Lawn mower tires are awesome! My dad works on riding mowers so he has friends that have push mower tires and I got a pair from him. You might be able to use a big bolt for your tires.

as long as you get the metal centered wheels(not plastic) they should be alright.
The bigger the wheel the easier it will roll.
For axles I use carriage bolts with washers and nuts on each side of the wheels. Will
pen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom