Wheels/axles for chicken tractors?

You can find these types of wheels at most hardware or home improvement stores.

4942_wheel.gif

4942_dc97p.gif

equibling I've been trying to figure this out as well. I too am planning a LARGE chicken tractor. It's making the addition of wheels very difficult.

I considered finding an old hay wagon to build on but they sit to high and would be susceptible to wind, a very serious consideration out here in Iowa. I've also considered an old trailer but anything big enough is way to much $$$$. I've been looking for a cheap care hauler, very low to the ground but again everything I find is to expensive to justify.

I'm still working on it. If i come up with anything I'll let you know.

You can always try a junk yard as well. There are MANY people on craigslist who buy old lawnmowers, contact them about buying parts they can't use off of them, they'll be happy to sell you some old tires or axels.

I have a 6' x 8' tractor and I put lawnmower wheels on one end. I bought 4 lawnmower wheels for $1.00 each and got 2 carrage bolts and drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the tractor and attatched the wheels 1 on the inside and 1 on the outside of bothe sides. It is a little heavier than I had thought and it's NOT easy to move by myself, works better with 2 people.

BUT.... if you got 8 lawnmower wheels and 4 carrage bolts you could make them into something that looks like Dumb-bells and just cut a little notch out in the 4 corners about 8 inches from the ends and when you need to move it just lift up 1 end at a time and place the wheels under and into the notch to move it. Then you could take them out so the whole thing sits on the ground so critters can't crawl under it.

Hope that helps with another possible way to do it.

Jayare

I have a chicken tractor. It is 8x12. the coop is at one end 4x8. Needless to say this thing is pretty heavy. min 300 lbs..
Let me tell you those little wheels sink right in to the dirt. The ground is soft you need wide wheels to keep it from sinking in to the ground. I used a trailer jack with a 2x6 inch wheel. it sank right in to the ground. I have one on each side.
I am working on an idea of useing 4" pvc pipe. It will be about 28 " long. I don't thing it will sink in to the ground if it is this long or wide. Connect it to the back of the coop section,somehow, where the most weight is. It is something in the works for the spring, to cold out side now.

I'm looking for a solution to make an axle as well. I've done what was suggested here. with bolt and metal center wheels, but (on our unlevel ground at least) the bolts move enough that it wobbles the hole out over time then the wheels are pretty much useless. My tractor is about 10' wide. I considered running a piece of conduit then putting something of an axel inside that. but I'm not sure what it would be. Another idea would be a piece of all thread, but I've never seen any that long. I'm guessing rebar would be too hard to thread. lol

I'm looking for a solution to make an axle as well. I've done what was suggested here. with bolt and metal center wheels, but (on our unlevel ground at least) the bolts move enough that it wobbles the hole out over time then the wheels are pretty much useless. My tractor is about 10' wide. I considered running a piece of conduit then putting something of an axel inside that. but I'm not sure what it would be. Another idea would be a piece of all thread, but I've never seen any that long. I'm guessing rebar would be too hard to thread. lol
If you could grind it smooth to thread it might work.
Wheels(large dia and width are needed to go smoothly over rough/soft ground)
and axles are tough(they need to stay horizontal)...
...and they need to be mounted to provide enough clearance to move easily over those bumps, then 'fold' up so tractor frame is tight to ground to prevent predators.
I have yet to see a great design.

Might be best to start a new thread here asking for more ideas.
..and/or peruse this section:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/tractor-coops.17/

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @pcdreams
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2020-1-2_9-4-2.png

Back
Top Bottom