Wheezing chicken - possible obstruction?

My chicks had this problem before. It has something to do with an upper respitory problem. At your local TSC or Agway, buy some tyremicin (spelling?) or aureomycin (spelling?) this helps alot! Now my chickens have no problems.
smile.png

one of my girls did this about a week ago. I was sure wshe had something caught in her throat. I couldnt figure it our so i brought her inside into the chicken hospital (large pet taxi) and covered her with a blanket to keep her calm, fed her some oatmeal and water, and with in 2 days she was back to normal. Very strange and puzzling. Mine are getting close to laying age (one has been laying an egg a day for 18 days) and I noticed they are all acting "different" I guess its just that they are getting ready to lay so each one acts a little "off"

I do hope that she is just being crazy because she's getting ready to lay. She seems much better. Probably afraid to make another sound, so I won't poke her, prod her and shine a bright light down her throat! Poor little thing, she's been pretty good about it all.

I think I will pick up some antibiotics, though, just in case. I don't have any in my little chicken emergency case. That way, if the singing/wheezing (?) starts back up, or if I hear her lungs rattling, or anything like that, at least I'd have it on hand. I was sort of freaking out that first day, and that's not a good time to be running around looking for medicine.

Thanks so much for the advice. If anyone else has any thoughts, I'm very interested.

Mabel isn't making any funny noises anymore and seems to be breathing normal - but I'm a little worried. We have had no eggs in 4 days - and I was getting an egg a day before. I just went to the coop and they are all pecking at something that looks like the remnants of either really watery poop (which they usually won't eat) -- or an shell-less egg that splattered. Someone has ripped apart the nest they usually lay in as well. My Red Stars were laying regularly then we had the big double yolk egg (which I think came from one of my heavy breeds) and we haven't had a single egg since.

Any suggestions? Do I treat all 4 of them with antibiotics just in case? If so - what kind?

Should I put up multiple nests so my Red Stars can go back to laying?

Kim

Hi,

My little hen "Fuzzy Face" was fine last night and this morning as far as I could tell but came home and she is breathing loud on the inhale and some on the exhale. Her mouth was open when I was trying to catch her to have a closer listen. I'm thinking it was stressful for her to have me trying to catch her. I couldn't so obviously she is moving around just fine. I am concerned though as I don't want her to be sick or spread it to the others. She is about 5 months old and not laying yet. She is a green/blue egg layer. (Sorry, not real good with kind of birds, I order them by egg color). My hens are free range. They have feed as well but don't eat a whole lot of that until there is nothing left to free range. I am in Wisconsin so that won't be much longer. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't really know what to do and a vet is not a very viable option right now. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom